I started working on another environment again, this time I wanted to work within a lot of things that make me extremely uncomfortable. I've spent some time learning some key concepts since the last time I posted, so it's time to iterate and improve upon them. I learned about Modular Kits and Trim Sheets, as well as a few ways to make foliage. So without further ado here's what I've done so far.
I gathered a butt load of reference from other stylized games that I'm seeking to emulate (It mostly consists of Darksiders Genesis, More recent WoW, Fortnite as they have really good shapes, Sunset Overdrive, and Overwatch.) So clear shapes with a little bit of grungy noise to it.
I created a couple trimsheets to play with, one for wood details, and another set for stone details.
I left these maps as grayscale (mostly) for as I'm going to attempt to mimic a technique used on sunset overdrive to further push the painterly feeling, by having brush stroke masks on a world aligned texture that will allow me to easily paint different colors onto each mesh.
From there I slapped together some basic modular props I can use to put together a scene and feel out the space
At this point I realized that my props weren't exactly looking too stylized, so I went back and did the brushwork you can see on the textures above. I wanted to go for a very tentacle feel with some of these variations, so each object is available with optional tentacle stonework. Which ended up correcting it.
In my opinion I absolutely nailed the wood. Trimsheets are so powerful. It's honestly thanks to Morten Olson's talk on the technology behind Sunset's environments that brought me this far with trimsheets. That and Polygon Academy's four part series on them. I would highly recommend anybody watch both of these series.
From there I made a lone tiling texture, not much to see there, and a fence on a spline mesh, and started playing with blockouts and compositions.
While I thought these were interesting, the lighting was blown out and frankly it felt like it lacked intrigue. I attempted to play more with the verticality of the space but it never read "Sea Cavern with a temple" So I went back to the drawing board and came back with this
I'm not really feeling the lighting yet but we're getting there. Let me know if you have any points or direction, tomorrow I'll be making the cliffs to make the scene feel more cave like. I'm thinking I can get away with a couple of base meshes to make up the walls, with some tiling textures and some vertex painting to create some interesting variation. I think I'm on the right path with this one though.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback!