Home Technical Talk

Photoshop is it possible to copy file path of image from inside Photoshop?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I was wondering if there is some trick to copying the file path of the open document from inside Photoshop to the clipboard. This would save me a lot of time since save as always goes to the wrong folder and has that outdated UI where you can only store 5 custom links.

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    As far as I know not without an additional step: right-clicking on the file's name gives you the option to reveal in explorer.

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be a really nice feature, I don't seem to have that right click menu in CS6, or CC2014 is it a very new feature?
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2

malcolm said:
    That would be a really nice feature, I don't seem to have that right click menu in CS6, or CC2014 is it a very new feature?
    I'm using Photoshop CC, seems to be present since 2017's version, probably earlier (oldest installed version I have and still use).

I tried to look a little bit deeper into this, but surprisingly can't even find the file's link in the "File Info"s raw data. I presume the "reveal in explorer" feature is handled by Window's UI and Photoshop itself works on buffered copy of the file (a.k.a. what you have opened in Photoshop is not the file itself)? I'm not a programmer by profession though.

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    You can run this script in photoshop to copy the file name to the clipboard.

1. Download it and remove the .TXT from the end of the file name.
    2. In Photoshop create an Action where you run this script. (Set a hotkey in the Action option menu.)
    3. Filename should be in the clipboard after you run the action.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get an error when I open the script in CS6

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Sorry, I guess that script feature is only in newer photoshop.

What's your goal here? Your original post is your possible solution to some problem. What's the problem?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to save a new file to a location without having to browse for it each time using the antiquated Photoshop browse window that comes up. Getting the file path would at least allow me to get into the root folder I care about by pasting that into the browse window. Right now I open windows explorer, use my favorites menu to get to where I want then copy paste that path into the save as menu in Photoshop. Just looking for a quicker way to do that.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Here are a couple of OLD Photoshop scripts (they were written in 2010) so hopefully they are compatible with CS6. I just tested them both in PS 2020, and they still work.

If you have a file open (like a PSD) then it'll save a PNG or a TGA next to it. They are written in very different styles, but if you need to tweak the PNG or TGA options it's pretty clear how to do it in the script.

Hope they work for you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fakereh690tgd6a/PhotoshopExportPNG.jsx?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6qgi5czx7rekoe/SaveTGA.jsx?dl=0
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I also just realized my fetal flaw in my workflow was duplicating the file first technically making it a temp file, if I open the document and do a save as it will actually take me to the right folder.