Home Technical Talk

How to overcome technical aspects of 3D modeling?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Its been a while I am learning 3d prop modeling and always AlWayS I try to start modeling something I stuck up upon some technical difficulties and I just wanna give up, it's just too annoying I have to focus more on technical sides of things rather than artistic which I almost hate it. Any suggestions on how can I reduce this mental pressure.

For eg. I modeled this in blender and wanted to create into a game asset for which I need to texture it in painter, now to do that u have to do 3 things which I hate the most and is often where I gave up which is converting into a low poly, UV unwrapping and baking (the technical bullsh*t which I call) and even after that long process u don't know if the textures applied would be fine or stretched. So in this project, I paint over it in Affinity Photo and called it a day.

Replies

• tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Unfortunately it's part of the job and will be for the long foreseeable future. Game "artists" are just production machines that make other people's ideas come to life. 

From the looks of it, if you don't want to go through any of that hassle, I would recommend looking into concept art/3d concept art. You get to be more creative then (within the boundaries if you have a creative lead) and let other artists handle the dirty work. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You either learn to enjoy it, or find something more suited to your personality.

If you want to focus on pure creativity, try concept art or writing.

If you stick with it and make effort to understand how things work rather than memorizing rules, you'll get to where the technical side of things is second nature, and then doing UV's is a nicee part of the job. Just like a relaxing puzzle.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The way to overcome the hurdles is to have a good internet connection and then tackle it a bit at a time. Try stuff, search on the web, then post your problems here, then search again on the web. If you still hit the wall, take a break, walk in the park, go for a run, then while you are not thinking of your problem, often ideas will come.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    "even after that long process u don't know if the textures applied would be fine or stretched"

how so? use a proper checker while unwrapping and you will see stretching, stress, scale differences and with that also pixel density.
  • cracked_polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    "even after that long process u don't know if the textures applied would be fine or stretched"

how so? use a proper checker while unwrapping and you will see stretching, stress, scale differences and with that also pixel density.

I actually meant that only, we had to fix those stretched textures before going over to painter. Anyway really hoping substance painter would improve their automatic UV generation.
  • cracked_polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    The way to overcome the hurdles is to have a good internet connection and then tackle it a bit at a time. Try stuff, search on the web, then post your problems here, then search again on the web. If you still hit the wall, take a break, walk in the park, go for a run, then while you are not thinking of your problem, often ideas will come.

Yes great suggestion, go out for a run or walk in a park and die from the virus. Problem solved for life LOL
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Everyone can relate. Maybe they aren't going to feel deflated when they have to do it for such a simple model.. but everyone has times they don't feel great about some tedius aspect of a project. 

//TODO insert Rocky quote meme
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    The trick is to do it often enough that you know the tedious technical stuff (like UVs) will payoff creatively at the end (texturing).