Home Technical Talk

Does it make sense to tell your assets texel density if...?

SO I thought what would be the best way to inform how much texture space an asset that is part of a texture with other things in it? Tellling for example that sword has 2k textures doesn't tell much if there is other things in the same map, so could texel density provide more accurate information about it?
i.e. sword has texel density of 3 px/cm. Or am I understanding the whole concept wrong?

Thanks ppl, you best!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show a pic of what you're working on.

Most game weapons use their own unique non-shared textures. Though if a weapon has many versions, attachments, etc. then reuse is important.

It's important to reuse texture space as much as possible, so the pixels get smaller on the model, and there's less waste. For example the two sides of a sword blade can typically be mapped to the same texture, since you can't see both sides at the same time.

This might be useful for you
    https://80.lv/articles/textel-density-tutorial/
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    @Beholda
    You are right but you would need a tool which  calculates a mean texel density (probably per-pixel).
    If every big 3d software would have such a unified tool we could start to simply compare the values as you compare polycounts today.. 
    The issue is: people like it simple and a mean texel density is not simple. So we relay on texture size and show-me-your-UVs ;)