Home Technical Talk

Which is better for performance, More vertex? or Retopologize and texture the High Poly

Hey, I have a question guys, I have seen some people create a High poly asset and then retopologize, baked it for the low poly. So I am wondering I am just starting to model my game assets, so Which is more better for Optimization in performance? Bake it?, or just have more vertex?

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Bake it, polycount of highpoly meshes is way too high for games. 
  • Wulf1045
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So baking the model actually optimizes the performance, while retaining the same shape?
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    You want to retain silhouette and bake down surface details and things that do not add to the overall silhouette of the object. Also baking give you clean bevels on your mesh and makes it so that the various surfaces interact with light better. If you need the geo for a curve or protrusion that should stay but small bevels and things like bolts,vents or things like that can be baked.

Honestly it sounds like you are quite new to these concepts and I recommend looking up Chamferzone on youtube, take a look through his free tutorials. You'll learn a lot of the process of what things to bake and what things keep.