Home Technical Talk

Zbrush fixing meshflow?

Asim7
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
Im making a helmet type thing for a character. I duplicated the head mesh, used the SliceCurve tool to make a selection and split/delete.
It all works perfectly :) 

But! it ruined the polygons and meshflow in some parts, and I don't know how to fix it?
I tried Zremesher, but it ads a lot of unnecesary poly's and fixes some places, but ruins it other places.

Any idea how i'd go about this please?

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    From a logic point of view it has to 'ruin' the mesh as you are explicitly cutting through quads in any arbitrary way.
    You have to automatically or manually fix the topology.
    Though I haven't found a fast and clean automatic solution yet. So if anyone has a tip I'm interested in this too.

E.g. remesh only the edges
  • Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    rollin said:
    From a logic point of view it has to 'ruin' the mesh as you are explicitly cutting through quads in any arbitrary way.
    You have to automatically or manually fix the topology.
    Though I haven't found a fast and clean automatic solution yet. So if anyone has a tip I'm interested in this too.

E.g. remesh only the edges
    It's just that when im looking at it, there are points where it could easily make a quad but it decides to make triangles. And if I try to have Zbrush fix it, then it ruins the flow on the rest of the mesh. Which makes no sence, why it would do that.

Was hoping there was an option to only remove triangles or perhaps a way to make it ignore the rest.

I did find a workaround, it worked in my case but might not for everyone.

I went to one of the lower subdiv levels, so all the polygons where pretty big. Then I did the complete thing there, and after that I subdivided it again and projected details to get it to how it was.
    Now the mesh is perfect, but It does require you to be able to re-project all the lost details and such.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It's just that when im looking at it, there are points where it could easily make a quad but it decides to make triangles. And if I try to have Zbrush fix it, then it ruins the flow on the rest of the mesh. Which makes no sence, why it would do that.

It's not really the triangles you should be looking at, but the polygons that directly surround them. Zbrush is trying to cut through the mesh exactly how and where you told it to cut, but this would result in n-gons (which zbrush does not support). So it has to triangulate certain faces so that the faces next to them will still be a quad and not an n-gon. 

If there is no reason to preserve the rest of the topology as is, zremeshing the whole thing will likely give a better flow that takes into account the cut you've made. Otherwise, you can use Zmodeler to manually stitch points together and delete edges, but you're still going to have to do this in a way that won't create any n-gons (even temporarily). 
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Asim7 said:
    Im making a helmet type thing for a character. I duplicated the head mesh, used the SliceCurve tool 

Just going to say these issues are why i use the extract option the most, mask the area i want and hit remesh till it is where i want it smoothing and using the deformation options, polish edges, ect help a lot with sorting out any oddities just takes a bit of fiddling around and its all automatic @rollin if it helps any1, the key is to keep the topology low / small then build it up once it is where you want it.  (for me anyway) I haven't played with Zmodeler so for all i know this might be the real solution.
  • Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    DavidCruz said:
    Asim7 said:
    Im making a helmet type thing for a character. I duplicated the head mesh, used the SliceCurve tool 

Just going to say these issues are why i use the extract option the most, mask the area i want and hit remesh till it is where i want it smoothing and using the deformation options, polish edges, ect help a lot with sorting out any oddities just takes a bit of fiddling around and its all automatic @rollin if it helps any1, the key is to keep the topology low / small then build it up once it is where you want it.  (for me anyway) I haven't played with Zmodeler so for all i know this might be the real solution.
    Yes, I went to the lowest subdiv I had. And basically did the same thing, but it was much easier for both me and Zbrush to keep the meshflow, when it was so low poly. Then I just subdivided it when I was satisfied, and projected the details back that I had lost.

It's probably not the best way, but it worked for me this time like a charm :)
    Thank you all for the help and tips, appreciate it :)