Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling Reel

Hello!
I'm a student currently working on finalizing her demo reel, here's a draft of how it's looking so far. Much that still needs to be fixed, but I would appreciate any feedback, Thank you!  =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmc-lwpNcNs

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, here are some things I've picked up from your reel;

1) As an enviro artist, start showing stills on ArtStation, not on a reel.
    2) The wood grain in all your texturing doesn't run with the mesh, or doesn't run the right way.
    3) You're either not beveling or your bevels are way too small.
    4) The amount of polygons that your wall has at 0:55 is way too high, I don't understand why you have that many.
    5) The food stand is super cute. The poly count of various objects, though, is way out of wack. Are you using sub-d or are these game ready meshes? Some parts I can see the polygons, whereas other parts have a super high poly smooth look.
    6) Pumpkin guy is super cute, but you'll want to start on ZBrush if you aim for this sort of stuff. Also, the topology needs a lot of work.

Keep going! I think you have a great artistic eye :)
  • Amota000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! thank you so much for your feedback,

1) I will definitely be posting on art station soon
    2) & 3) can you tell me for which project specifically you're referring to for these, thank you

4) That was cause i had a displacement map on it (first time i had used them and i didn't know they would make the polygons that high) will be switching to just a normal map and will re-render.

5) The objs with lots of polycounts were smoothed out so that there would be no sharp edges . I was told it was okay to do this since i'm just doing modeling and not game art modeling (but maybe this is something i should avoid doing in the future? not sure, would love your take on that) 

6) Yeah I definitely need to redo him in zbrush so i can hopefully rig him up in the future and animate him :3

Again, thank you for taking to write up some feedback, appreciate it!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding your wood grain, I've marked arrows on which direction your wood grains should run. For the stair rails, I would straighten those out and UV map them to match up with the texture.

For beveling, I would have made these bevels much larger.

Regarding number 5, you definitely need to decide on a workflow. If you're going for video games, those high poly meshes will be too dense for a game engine. If you're going for animation, your meshes should be sub-d, and thus your meshes are still too dense. Even if you're creating game meshes, you need to learn sub-d modeling in order to create high poly meshes for baking. If you're just modeling to crank out some art, sure, you can use super dense meshes, but it won't land you a job. What is your goal with your art? Either way, you'll need to learn how to make lower poly models which smooth properly.
  • Amota000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for taking the time to draw out a line, I see what you mean and I will go back and fix that, thank you!

And you're right, when i would smooth out my objects i would tell myself "this looks way to heavy" but like i said before i would never really get marked down by it in class so i thought it was fine, so i'm glad to get another persons thoughts on this. Thank you again! :3
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message