Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro Sci-fi Bunker Environment

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AlejandroDiaz polycounter lvl 2
Area-F Environment : Development Diary
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybvr25

Hello everyone again, I wanted to share a job I did a few months ago for the school where I study, I created a documentation to accompany the work and I would like to share a little of that documentation by creating a post on this page.

+ 0 to 10 Days with the project.

I started in the project with the creation of the walls and the different architectural kitbash of rooms, the idea of ​​the project was to generate a sci-fi bunker with many corridors, my main reference for its creation was the game "DOOM".

I created modules of diferent size and curves but the curves are very complicated to fit. Although they can be calculated if you know the radius of the circumference.

For example, P=2*Pi/4*Radius (/4 because you only have a quater of circumference), is the same as Pi/2* Radius or 1.57079632679*Radius.

In my case, I created a curve of 5m of Radius, after calculating, I knew that will create the module than 7,85m of long, before than apply "Blend" (Modifier of 3DsMax), this module was going to fit well.

Later, I did test in Unreal.

I made the roof of the corridors and the floors, too I have also created differents architectural props, for example, the doors and windows frames.

And generated the different kitbash.

+ 10 to 20 Days with the project.

I created some arquitectonic props, such as columns, grids, stairs, etc. and I created a Ad-Hoc for this props.

The resolution of all props are a 1024px per meter, because this game is a first person, later I made the High Poly for this each props to get they curvature and add others details such as screws or slots.

As you can see in the 4k it's full, but it is good optimized in the props size, since I only painted half or quarter that each props. In this image you can see better this metod for optimized UV's.

I created the playability sketch with a map in Photoshop and later the Blockout with this playability in Unreal.

Later ..., I imported all meshes and created the Blueprints.

+ 20 to 30 Days with the project.

In the settings of the meshes I regulated the Lightmap Density from the different modules, to have a correct density.

Later, I created the Proxy Lighting.

Outside the Unreal, I created one atlas of Mesh Decals for give variation to the modules when have tile textures, though I don't created a lot of Mesh Decals because many details are from individual props (with Ad-Hoc texture).

After finishing the implementation of mesh Decals I continued in the creation and implementation of more arquitectonic props, such as the doors, cables, floors, etc.

I created one grid texture for the emergency zones, the size of the texture is only a 512px, because the texture have transparency and tile.

And more Proxy Lighting.

+ 30 to 40 
Days with the project.

I generated props, beginning for the most importants as lights, tables or chairs and completed the textures Ad-Hoc with little props. (This texture have 20 props in one texture of 4k resolution with correct texel density).

Later, I painting the props and arquitecture.

Some textures were created with Designer, and  many components have been finalized with decals.

+ 40 to 50 
Days with the project.

In this week I have started with the creation of a new Roughness Decal for give variations of brightness to floors since its Roughness value is too high, in this picture you can see the difference.

In the corridors I painted the Trims of the walls and I add emissives for the roof lights.

And later, I implemented the screens and one real camera for optimization purposes.

+ 50 to 60 Days with the project.

I have created new props and animations and decorated the different rooms.

Thanks for watching and hope you like it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Area-F Environment : Development Diary
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybvr25

Replies