Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viking Environment "For Honor Style"

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AlejandroDiaz polycounter lvl 2
Viking Environment : Development Diary
http://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kax1Zx

Hello my name is Alejandro Díaz Castellano, a third year student at FX Animation School. I am going to talk a little about the last project I have created for school with my friend and classmate Víctor Agrisuelas Pascual.

+ References.

The main purpose of the project was to create a Viking aesthetic scenario based on For Honor (Ubisoft Game), specifically on a map called "Storr stronghold" which is an assault on a castle by sea.

We did a search for references both in For Honor and in other sections, for materials and props, and from those references we generated the TopDown of the level to be able to start working on it Blockout within Unreal Engine.

Once inside Unreal, we generate the entire Blockout with the use of Unreal BSPs, paying close attention to the sizes and interiors, in order to speed up the creation of modules.

+ Modeling.

We generated the project as modular as possible, to generate any structure and facilitate the occlusion of the meshes within the game. I created many modules with three variants and mixed them together to generate variety, such as the tower.

Normally three variants make enough variety to break the monotomy or repetition of modules.

On the other hand I have also generated more simple modules to create other structures, such as wooden ceilings and boats. These modules could also be used to generate different kinds of boats.

+ Textures.

Most of the textures were created in Quixel Mixer and with the use of Megascans merging different textures to generate new ones. A widely used example in this project is tiled wood.

Another type of textures are the Ad-Hoc created in Substance Painter to generate more concrete elements that have more color changes.

Although most of the textures in this project are tileable textures, often even applied to props, which allowed us to speed up the creation of UV's in many of them. Many times tileable textures were used but changing their appearance through shaders in Unreal, using foreign maps when making bakes, so both High Poly and Low were generated for the creation of said elements, an example is the following.

+ Shaders.

Shader creation was a very important part of the project, we generated both basic PBR shaders as well as other more complex and more focused on specific parts of the project. In the following example I show you an area of ​​the map only with basic PBR shaders, and on the other hand the same area with the use of different shaders more focused on Vertex Paint and masks.

#1: The high areas of the wall have a shader with vertex paint.
     #2: The lower areas of the wall, in addition to having vertex paint, have a local gradient with a noise mask to create the inferior effect of mud or dirt.
     #3: In this example, the wooden stakes are textured with two tileable textures and merged by a local mask.
     #4: The rocks, on the other hand, are already a little more complex.

With these elements you can not only detail the shape of the rocks but also texturize the statue that we have seen previously, since they use exactly the same shader.

+ Breakdown.

Thanks for watching and hope you like it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viking Environment : Development Diary
http://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kax1Zx 

Replies