Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Subway Station - Please Critique

polygon
Offline / Send Message
mar_torrales polygon
Hi!
I'm looking for some critique or recomendations on my latest enviroment! It's the first one I've ever done to this scale but still, i'd love some critiques so I can improve.

Here some of the materials I made for the enviroment.

The project in ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z56d2X

Replies

• mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Hi everyone! 

Decided to take some time to rework the textures and lighting on the environment. As well as adding some fog and dust particles in the air.

You can see the full updated project here:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z56d2X
    I'm very happy with the new look of the environment, especially when compared to how it used to look before.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    So, there is a lot of visible tiling in your scene, i suggest using vertex painting or just overlay a macro texture to add some variation. Also use decals: stains, leaks, cracks, etc. Adding such features greately enhances believability. Maybe a grafitti somewhere.
    There are no reflections in the scene which is odd since you have ceramic tiles on the walls and (presumably) some granite tiles on the floor.
    The models are very basic, either rectangular or cylindrical shapes, try adding some props to make the scene more interesting.
    The lighting has improved but its still a bit too uniform and i think that the ceiling could be a bit darker. I mean the amount of light it recieves is a bit too much. Also a lot of people make the mistake of adding pure white light when in reality its either warm (yellowish) or cold (blueish) light.
    Keep at it.
  • gastrop0d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gastrop0d polycounter lvl 5
    I think you have a nice start here. The escalators and tunnel are looking very solid. I agree with teodar23's points. Grab a whole bunch of reference to draw inspiration for visual interest and variety.

Some on my own points:
    I think the concrete ceilings could use more obvious signs of their construction - supporting beams, seams, cracks, etc. How was the ceiling made? I doubt it would be one perfectly continuous surface.
    Underground station ceilings are also usually riddled with cables and pipes, since its cheaper and easier for maintenance than embedding them into the ceiling itself.
    Your corners look very sharp, I suggest softening them either with bevelling in the geometry itself or using edge decals.