Home Technical Talk

Shadow distortion

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KotBigimot polycounter lvl 3
Alright, this might be a dumb question and not even fitting for polycount, but when I upload my render the shadows are all messed up and simplified on my phone (Samsung S10), so what i'm trying to show off on instagram etc. looks like crap. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

First image is what it looks like on my phone (a screenshot), and the second is what it's supposed to look like. Especially her cheek bothers me.

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yep, that's compression alright. does this appear only after you've uploaded it to, say, instagram, or does it appear in the process of moving it to your phone? We need a better idea of what you've done between the fine result on your computer and the messed up result on your phone. :)
  • KotBigimot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KotBigimot polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for answering! I rendered a 5000 x 5000 resolution image in Substance Painter. I saved it on my desktop, it was 105 Mb, then converted it to a jpg of 9 Mb in Photoshop, but it still looked fine. Then just dragged it into Dropbox. And then opened the dropbox folder on my phone, and that's when it looks bad. So, i'd suspect that's where that compression happens that you're speaking of, in Dropbox. But when i open the file from Dropbox on my pc, it still looks fine. It's just if I open it on my phone, before uploading to Instagram, that it looks bad.

But since you say it's compression.. I just, while typing this, tried just sending the file via email and open it that way on my phone. And that actually works. It looks fine! So, thanks! You pointed me into the right direction! Shame though, that i can't use dropbox for this..