Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hellboy - feedback needed!

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
d333p node
Hello guys!
Long story short: I need feedback! :)
Long story long: I'm new to 3D and everything that is around it. I've been told that if I want to learn faster I need some sort of mentorship or community that is willing on giving me feedback, and that is exactly what I'm asking for :) I've been working on this model for about 20 hours and I have a strong feeling that I'm doing something wrong. My goal is to go through the whole process of character creation (not for animation). So now I'm confused! Do I add details now with dyntopo (working in Blender) or first retopo it then multires and only after add detail? Or do I retopologise it then UV unwrap and add details in Substance painter? Or maybe no need to retopologise manually for my purpose and do it with some addon? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, started learning 3D one month ago. And will write it again, I will be really grateful for any sort of feedback! 
Thanks,
Dan
https://www.artstation.com/d333p all of my works for now

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    well usually you would retopo and then sculpt with subdivisions. you say it´s not for animation,  are you making this for illustration purposes then? if it´s supposed to be a game ready character you need to make good topo that would work for animation, but if it´s just for a pretty render then it´s not as important.  pore detail is something I would do during sculpting rather than in substance for the face
  • d333p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d333p node
    @JohannesAg thank you! Yeah, what I wanted to do from the beginning is just a pretty illustration for some practice. But now I'm not sure. I want to ask one more question. If I'm a beginner, is it better for me to make many but small projects or big but few? I mean, I can make it for render and move on, but won't it be better to go through the whole process of creating gaming ready character? I want to work in game dev
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Big but few if you want to prove you can make game ready characters.
  • d333p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d333p node
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    ok, that means I'm on the right way :) thanks!