Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - How to Trim a Cube Model to the shape of an STL?

New to 3D modeling and Zbrush, appreciate any help y’all can throw at me. I don’t know all the lingo, but hopefully my screengrabs will help explain what I’m facing. Context here is I’m playing with ZBrush to ultimately design relief carvings from my CNC Router (using MeshCam in the middle to create toolpaths).

I have an imported STL model of a heraldry belt - it really is just the top of the shell, it doesn’t have a backside. I added a cube subtool and squashed it, positioning the belt just inside it, so it looks like a relief carving on a piece of wood.

Additional design will be sculpted in the middle of the belt.
I don’t really want this bigger squashed cube background. I want the outer limits of the model to be in the outer shape of the belt. In Photoshop, I could Magic Wand the belt and use that to cut the cube.

How can I accomplish this in Zbrush?

• Is there a good way to cut the shape?
  • OR is there a better solution working with STLs to create a backside that I could then play with? I tinkered a bit with ZModeler, and that seemed like a good way to lose my mind.

If it helps, I zipped up the ZPR and can be snagged from my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kt_ZahJ2YHu5F843rb_DozHkB5Pf89_C

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    A quick solution might be to use Tool: Geometry: Mirror and Weld on the blue Z-axis  (you may have to temporarily re-position the belt subtool over the center line first so that it mirrors correctly). Then you could move it back into the cube, and set either the belt or the cube to be a subtractive Boolean operation with Live Booleans, depending on which result you're going for. 

Otherwise, if you just wanted to plug up the missing backside, I find it helps to use Zmodeler to manually bridge the hole in several places. Zbrush will have an easier time closing up several simpler holes than it will trying to figure out how to close one giant, complicated one. 
  • rookbehr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @cryrid - Mirror and Weld got me unstuck. Appreciate it!