Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guiadance and Feedback

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi there, 

My name is Daniel Pereda and I have to admit I am struggling quite a bit trying to get my first job as a Character Artist (Junior too). I know I am not the only person in this situation and I am not the only one who wants to become a CA. Regardless of that I just want a bit of light onto my personal work. I admit I am quite confused due to I have been rejectected so many times and it wont be the last ones thought. I would love to know if somebody can help me if i have got a chance or if I am really far away still. What I could improve. Thank you very much before hand.
I leave my portfolio here. https://www.artstation.com/reddalu09  

Daniel.

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I am an environment artist, so take the following advice with grain of salt. I have however seen a lot of character artist portfolios and read a lot of critiques and tips for them, so hopefully my thoughts are of some help to you.
    One thing that sticks out to me is that you don't have a fully finished human character on your portfolio. Al-Khor looks fully sculpted, retopoed and rigged, but not fully textured. The 'White Spotted Panther' lady is fully textured but not fully sculpted or modeled. Although she could use a bit more work on the roughness layer. It looks a bit too glossy and a bit too even. 
    V.O.I the robot is the most complete, but to me seems to be your weakest piece in nearly all areas. The polycount is far too low for closeup and even mid-range shots. (Like I can count the polygons on his head and goggles the curves are so blocky). If he's meant to have an old school low-res look, cool, but mention that in the description. I don't have much knowledge of UDIMs, so your robot's UVs might be great, but to me it just looks like a ton of empty, unused space, and a very high number of texture draw calls for a simple character like that. Also the robot's texturing, material definition, and lighting could all use more work. The high res model looks pretty awesome though.

Maybe all your portfolio needs is a character where you bring it all together. Good sculpt, and retopo, like Mr. Al-Khor, finished textures like Ms. Panther, and some breakdowns, wireframes, UV's, texture maps, and good lighting and presentation to really bring it to life.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I totally agree with JamesBrisnehan, combine your folio projects I to one well made piece. Also your textures are pretty desaturated and dark. Work more with colours and contrasts within your pieces :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    • I want a finished, textured, full character.
    • V.O.I has an unattractive design.  I would rather you work from an existing strong concept art and recreate that in 3D.
    • V.O.I. texturing reads too flat.  edge wear, for example, needs more finesse and specific plaement isntead of it being uniformally caked on.
    • You seem aware enough about your anatomy.
    • I want a character that looks attractice/good design.
    • Bust lady is missing color zones and normal details.  Her lip partition is light for whatever reason; it should be dark. Her clothing materials ahve very flat albedos.
    I don't want to say it's almost there, but it's clear you're on your way.  Just need to show finished stuff, something that could be thrown into a game without a moment's notice.