Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] - Old school radio player

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
bystry polycounter lvl 3
Hi polycount,
I've started a new 3D project, as I'm not truly familiar with 3D modeling workflow so I suppose I'll need a lot of feedback from you guys.
What I'm going to do with this Is to model an old school radio player. It Is highly based on Sony ICF 5800 but I want to change It a little bit.
It should be a game PBR model and since I'm still learning Ill treat It like hero asset.
Program what I'm going to use for this one Is Blender for modeling, Substance Painter and PS for textures.

Blockout

After blockout I've started to refine smaller and bigger knobs.

Replies

• bystry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Couple shots of high poly model. At this point, I'm fighting with smoothing groups and beveling edges. I've tried to create it as non destructive as I can. Using booleans, and bevel modifiers instead adding supporting edge loops was my main workflow. As I'm new for all that all support and comments from you guys will be appricieated.

• LumoBlaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LumoBlaze polycounter lvl 2
    I genuinely have no critique or words of advice for your piece, it just simply looks fantastic at this stage. I'm looking forward to seeing the results when you bake down the details into a low poly.
  • bystry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Lumo I had some problems with baking I ignored because I have lack of time and I wanted to focus on texturing.  There were so many things lately I haven't time to keep this thread up to date. But I want to share with you final results of my work here, as well some views on lo-poly model. As its one of few 3D assets I did in my artist carrer I'm quite happy with results, but I know always Its place for improvement so I am here, maybe someone will spot some mistakes.

There are some mistakes with baking I've spotted: