3D Environment Artist
The Odd Gentlemen, a multi-award winning, independent, narrative video game studio and creators of King’s Quest (2016) and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom is looking for a talented environment artist to join our (currently remote) team. We are staffing up on our upcoming innovative, narrative title. Follow @theoddgentlemen
on twitter for the latest job updatesJob Description
Our ideal candidate combines the skills of a modeler, lighter, set decorator, and texture mapper and can take all those to make fantastical
settings. You will be responsible for creating high console quality interior and exterior environments for story-based gameplay
- Take concept images and inspirational references to create game-ready, in-engine environments.
- Model, texture, and light all aspects of the environment
- Strong knowledge of Physically Based Rendering (PBR) workflow and blending that with stylized models
- Regard and contribute improvements to the asset creation pipeline, including workflow streamlining, optimization, file management, etc.
- Experiment to find a way to bring our unique world and style to life
- Work with the Art Director and Technical Artist to create intricate environments
- Make assets with an eye toward maintaining The Odd Gentlemen’s brand for artistic style
- Create stylized textures matching the look defined in the concept materials
- Follow a specific pipeline workflow to make sure all assets are game-ready
- A minimum of 3 years related experience in game development modeling and texturing characters (or equivalent)
- Have shipped at least one console/PC title as an environment artist
- Experienced in Unity or related game engine
- Proficient with Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop
- Strong foundation and understanding of light, color, shading, and style
- Thorough understanding of the technical limitations and optimization of game art assets for various platforms
- A passion for story-driven games and fantastical worlds and characters
- An understanding of architecture and natural landscape environments but not afraid to stylize them
- Create shaders, materials, and textures to bring art to life and stay within pipeline and performance constraints
- Motivated to self-manage and actively seek answers, conduct research and explore creative solutions
- Please email [email protected] with a resume, cover letter, and portfolio materials or links. Additionally, an art test will be required.
Please email [email protected] with a resume, cover letter, and portfolio materials or links. Additionally, an art test will be required.About the Odd Gentlemen:
The Odd Gentlemen is an independent game studio passionate about creating innovative gameplay with narrative and puzzle elements that feature experiences that can be shared together and enjoyed by a wide audience.
Over the last 11 years they have shipped more than 40 SKUs and partnered with 2K Games, Activision, Disney, and Starburns Industries. The studio has garnered multiple game of the year awards and strives to push the boundaries of mechanics, aesthetics, and story within the interactive space. They are best known for the critically acclaimed games King's Quest and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom