Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eve - Queen's Bounty Hunter

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
This was my first attempt at creating real time hair with the help of Adam Skutt's tutorial and realistic skin with Texturing XYZ maps. I originally used XGen but wasn't happy with it so I bought the hair strand designer plugin for substance designer. I also attempted to go really far with my realistic modeling and texturing for this character.

The model ended up being in total 77,017 vertices (73,124 polygons) with the the hair being 12,030 vertices. 5 texture sets were used for this model and each map ended up being 4096x4096.

I noticed half way through my texturing process that the tattoo I created on her back would mostly be covered by her hair...Lesson learned...

Critique is always welcome and appreciated.

You can find more pictures on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qA1nwN

Replies

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Very interesting character I like the leather applications.
    In terms of polygon count, you don't need so many polys on her armband, pants or shoes. Important is the deformation of the mesh.
    And on her back I notice seams between the texture sets. But don't worry I'm making full body characters at work so we have to deal a lot with this mess ^^ can't wait to have Painter Udim support!
    Further more, the roughness values are almost the same, I'm missing the different values between skin, metal and fabric.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting character I like the leather applications.
    In terms of polygon count, you don't need so many polys on her armband, pants or shoes. Important is the deformation of the mesh.
    And on her back I notice seams between the texture sets. But don't worry I'm making full body characters at work so we have to deal a lot with this mess ^^ can't wait to have Painter Udim support!
    Further more, the roughness values are almost the same, I'm missing the different values between skin, metal and fabric.
    Thanks for the critique! Yeah the seams on the body really annoyed me and I tried to blur them a bit on the normal map but that didnt work out so well.

In regards to the roughness, I have a feeling its something to do with my settings in marmoset since I tried to mix them up in substance painter, I've attached the substance painter screen capture below:

• Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 polycounter lvl 5
    Tip for the tattoo give it a smal blur on the edges and make it dark green with noise. The more blure the "older the " the tattoo is. Now the tattoo is a bit to clean while a real tattoo is never that clean in lining the art.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 said:
    Tip for the tattoo give it a smal blur on the edges and make it dark green with noise. The more blure the "older the " the tattoo is. Now the tattoo is a bit to clean while a real tattoo is never that clean in lining the art.
    Thats a good point, I'll give it out a try on the model and keep it in mind for the next project, thank you
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Do you have an image  with just the normal map of the body applied? Like to see if there are also seams or maybe its because of the other textures like Ambient Occlusion.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have an image  with just the normal map of the body applied? Like to see if there are also seams or maybe its because of the other textures like Ambient Occlusion.
    Here is just the normal map, you can see the seems around the arms and the neck. I tried to fit this all into the 0,0 UV space and needed to make the seams to making painting easier. Do you have any suggestions on how to reduce these? 

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    At work we are using characters with 3 Udims, that means we have one highpoly mesh and the lowpoly is using 3 seperated materials within painter. The bake is seamless between the Udims. 
    If you want you could send me the high and lowpoly body so I can make a test with it :)