Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Postponed] Swiss templar personal work

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sora123 polycounter lvl 5
Hey Guys I'm at the moment making this character from Andrius Matijosius trying to focus myself on cloth and armor design in 3D and I need some feedback. Also There are parts that are unclear on the concept art wich in on this picture down below. Do you guys hapend to know what they are? 

Question regarding the concept I'm stuck with:
Backpack: what is it or what might it be?
Leg protection: is that leather or wood? 
Boots: is that a specific kinds of boots?

concept thus far be free to shoot at any points.

Replies

• LucasNazato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LucasNazato polycounter lvl 4
    I think it would make more sense for the leg protection to be leather instead of wood, as that would be more flexible.
    The rest I'm not really sure, maybe take a look at historic armor and uniforms to see if you find something similar, maybe specifically from Switzerland, as it's supposed to be a Swiss Templar.
  • Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the feedback! I also took the time to contact the creator of the concept art and he also added some feedback and clarification on certain parts of the character. It is really hard to find good referenceh on switzerland ww1 army ref so I based some parts on german and frenche refs.

LucasNazato said:
    I think it would make more sense for the leg protection to be leather instead of wood, as that would be more flexible.
    The rest I'm not really sure, maybe take a look at historic armor and uniforms to see if you find something similar, maybe specifically from Switzerland, as it's supposed to be a Swiss Templar.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The bedroll looks like it is meant to rest on top of a backpack or satchel. I'm sure you've seen somebody with a rucksack and a bedroll on top like that before? If not just google images of soldiers or hikers with rucksack and you'll see. I guess you will be free to design a backpack yourself since the concept does not provide one.

The boots look like regular leather boots with a metal toe shield on the outside, and some kind of reinforcement piece on the heel.

The calf piece couldn't be wood. You'd never get it on.

It is hard to work from limited reference. It can be harder than actually making the art. The more time you spend learning about your subject, doing research, etc., the easier it will be. I think that's a fun part of 3d art. You get to study lots of different things and learn a bit about them. So take your tiem and have fun.
  • Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bedroll looks like it is meant to rest on top of a backpack or satchel. I'm sure you've seen somebody with a rucksack and a bedroll on top like that before? If not just google images of soldiers or hikers with rucksack and you'll see. I guess you will be free to design a backpack yourself since the concept does not provide one.

The boots look like regular leather boots with a metal toe shield on the outside, and some kind of reinforcement piece on the heel.

The calf piece couldn't be wood. You'd never get it on.

It is hard to work from limited reference. It can be harder than actually making the art. The more time you spend learning about your subject, doing research, etc., the easier it will be. I think that's a fun part of 3d art. You get to study lots of different things and learn a bit about them. So take your tiem and have fun.
    Thanks Alex for the feedback I will do to keep that in mind. Didn't thought the idea of a boots with a reinforcement piece will do to research that! And it is true I do like the researching and trying to understant what they do and how to make them for me it's like technical aspect and artistic aspect combined wich I like allot.

• Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating on my progress thus far feel free to give feedback! Will work on the backpack soon.
    By the way anyone got tips on how I can make those white ropes near the shoulder plate armor? should I make cards or just 3D with in mind that is meant for games.

• tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Sora123 said:
    should I make cards or just 3D with in mind that is meant for games.
    If you look at current games, for eg something like mordhau these are done with cloth sim, planes with enough geo to deform. 
    I think theres a few things that could take your character further, it looks a little flat in comparison to the concept. You needa look at the silhouette a bit more. The concept also looks like his shoulders are a little bit wider as well, moving to a v-tapered waist. 

• Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx allot for the feedback you right now that I take a better look, the porportions on certain parts dont fit the concept art. I did some changes based on the feedback and it look allot better already so thanks!

The boots btw is at the moment a test placeholder will update that in the future. I contacted the concept artist and he said that it is fine to put my own input on parts where it is unclear. He gave me examples to further work on. So as of now I want to combine a metal nose boots with a leather high boots and see how it look based on the moodboard.

tynew said:
    Sora123 said:
    should I make cards or just 3D with in mind that is meant for games.
    If you look at current games, for eg something like mordhau these are done with cloth sim, planes with enough geo to deform. 
    I think theres a few things that could take your character further, it looks a little flat in comparison to the concept. You needa look at the silhouette a bit more. The concept also looks like his shoulders are a little bit wider as well, moving to a v-tapered waist. 

• Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost don with the high.
    Made some progression on the swiss guard and based on the feedback. Also added the backpack and shield redid the the boots and the cloth on the backpack. Feel free to give feedback!

• Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progression feel free to give feedback. 
  • Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! The only thing that stands out to me is the shield metal itself is thinner than the concept. and the straps on the side/top of it are for holding/putting a hand through to grip, so make sure there is enough room.  
  • Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sory for the late response and thx for the feedback. I worked on this character further but found out that my low polly and baking sucked really bad. It's clear to me that I really need to work on that. So I decide to shelve this character for now and continue working on something else. With that said I'm currently in a mentorship and hopefully I can develop my skill further as a character artist.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The neck guard interior padding needs to be rounded off on the edges.

I like the progress here.  I suspect most of the trhust is going to be ont het exture side.