Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Please give me feedback on me reel

alandierki
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
alandierki polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys. I would be grateful for the feedback on my reel.
https://syncsketch.com/sketch/7acf5900cb6d/

Replies

• brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    I like it a lot great pantomine and very original!

I think sometimes the sounds are a bit too intrustive and distracting (Especially when het gets up from the fall) but they work for the most part.
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Cool reel. The style is quite different than mine so I'll try my best to give some helpful notes. 
    • For the first scene, make sure to keep animating until/past the last frame. I can tell it's currently just a bit of interp between 2 keys for the last half second or so, causing the scene to die at the end which is a bummer cause the rest of the shot is pretty good.
    • The guy doesn't feel like he's reacting to being told that he sucks and is dumb. His facial expression changes a bit at the end, but it doesn't feel like enough. I also think there needs to be a tiny beat after she say's "since when?" and his reaction. Currently he is already reacting when she is just starting to say "when", and his head move is quite drastic, too much for having not even heard everything she is saying.
    • If the intent of him looking away is to show that he's annoying with her and doesn't want to look at her because of it, maybe slow down the head rotation as he looks away. Currently it feels very forceful as if he's startled and looking over to where he heard a sound. I instead imagine it would take roughly the time it takes to do a short exasperate sigh.
    • The shot where he first sees the evil lady feels oddly subdued. The rest of the piece has very flamboyant posing and actions, and for a really important moment, his action feels kind of generic? I think it's the fact that he does such a big anticipation of holding the briefcase out before pulling it into his chest. it kills the feeling of him being afraid because if he was really scared, he would react immediately. His next shot where he jump in the air works well for fear, so maybe mimic that formula, but to a smaller degree.
    • His COG is all over the place when he's running towards the hallway. Stylized is fine, but it's inconsistent as to when his hips are going one direction and his feet are going the other. 1562-1572 feels the most off to me.
    • The close up shot of the ladies feet as she walks down the stairs feels like it's lacking character. Maybe she   walks down with her hips rotated 45 degrees so her feet are also rotates, maybe she leads with her toe dramatically, or speeds her foot through the air just then steps very gently as she puts her weight on it for some interesting timing.
    • I like how the idea of the transition in the last shot, but the timing of the actual transition feels abrupt. It doesn't feel like there is the right buildup so that I can enjoy the payoff. I won't try to solve the problem for you because there's a million ways you could go about it, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Let me know if you want me to try to explain more. Regardless of if or how you address that, his left arm feels like it's clearly "getting into the right pose" right before getting frozen, as opposed to doing a natural move and then being frozen in time.
  • alandierki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alandierki polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for such a detailed review.