Home Technical Talk

Nvidia hairworks VS haircard

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ffm32206600 polycounter lvl 7
hello my friends
as u know for game character we should make the haircard for our character in game,but i have seen nvidia hairworks,it really great
im wondering why every one still are using haircard for character to use in game engine instead of using nvidia hairworks

tnx

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    AMD's TressFX is more popular due to being open source and because the Playstation and Xbox consoles being built on AMD tech. Most companies modify it to suit their needs such as with Horizon Zero Dawn, or certain squareEnix games (though they call their modified version of it 'Pure Hair'). The companies that use Hairworks mostly seem to do so because they have a partnership with nvidia, as no one wants to spend a ton of time working on incorporating a proprietary technology they can't use outside the PC market.
  • ffm32206600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    AMD's TressFX is more popular due to being open source and because the Playstation and Xbox consoles being built on AMD tech. Most companies modify it to suit their needs such as with Horizon Zero Dawn, or certain squareEnix games (though they call their modified version of it 'Pure Hair'). The companies that use Hairworks mostly seem to do so because they have a partnership with nvidia, as no one wants to spend a ton of time working on incorporating a proprietary technology they can't use outside the PC market.
    tnx my friend
    the reason i asked this question was this actually:
    is hair card creation method for game asset an old method and these days we should learn new methods like nvidia hairworks or even new hair system that allow us to bring hair directly from dcc app to unreal or hair card creation still will be the best?
    tnx

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It depends on the hair. 

For something like a bear's body you want to be using a volumetric fin and shell approach,  for longer, specific shaped strands you will want something card based.

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    People are still widely using hair cards because : 
    1. Everyone (broadly) knows how to do it
    2. It's very, very simple to implement
    3. It's cheap
    If you look at it pragmatically hair cards are a shit representation of hair that we've been using for what, something like 15 years now? Spline-based approaches are basically just better, although they are more complicated and take more time to put in place. In 10 years time I expect most big-budget titles will be trying to use tech similar to TressFX / Hairworks etc. Unreal's new hair tech is a good example that the high-end graphics part of the industry is moving in this direction.
  • ffm32206600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks said:
    People are still widely using hair cards because : 
    1. Everyone (broadly) knows how to do it
    2. It's very, very simple to implement
    3. It's cheap
    If you look at it pragmatically hair cards are a shit representation of hair that we've been using for what, something like 15 years now? Spline-based approaches are basically just better, although they are more complicated and take more time to put in place. In 10 years time I expect most big-budget titles will be trying to use tech similar to TressFX / Hairworks etc. Unreal's new hair tech is a good example that the high-end graphics part of the industry is moving in this direction.
    tnx for replay
    i think in future hair card solution will be obsolete and out of industry and spline bases would be there instead,am i right?
     does for long time in future hair card method still would be used by 3d artists?
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I think so, nobody knows. It is the future, we can only guess.
    I think hair card method will still be used for some time, I don't know how long. Probably some games will always use it.