Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just getting started in blender all critiques are welcomed. looking for guidance and ideas

if you can please link to tutorials, advice, and insight on 3d environmental art. The tutorial that helped me with this was https://youtu.be/5pi1MxqpmKw

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    That's a interesting environment to start with, simple yet cool. Although I do kind of miss the glowing parts of the walls from the original. I thought they added a lot of life to the scene.
    So, do you have a goal in mind for what type of 3D art you would like to pursue/learn, or are you planning to try a little of everything until you know what discipline you like the most?
  • GL4D_TO_B3_HERE
    That's a interesting environment to start with, simple yet cool. Although I do kind of miss the glowing parts of the walls from the original. I thought they added a lot of life to the scene.
    So, do you have a goal in mind for what type of 3D art you would like to pursue/learn, or are you planning to try a little of everything until you know what discipline you like the most?
    honestly, I'm not entirely sure I picked it up because I don't think I'd be able to afford a level designer for my game so I'm trying to learn how to do my own art. I've become really interested in the environment and the character design aspect of 3d but I'm also willing to try new things.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, making your own game by your self huh? That's quite an undertaking. What kind of game are you going to make, and what game engine are you going to use?
  • GL4D_TO_B3_HERE
    Wow, making your own game by your self huh? That's quite an undertaking. What kind of game are you going to make, and what game engine are you going to use?
    I've tried unity but I'm not too familiar. so, for now, I'm going with unreal. I switch to online high school to start development going to graduate on the 15th of June. I wanted to make a very movement-based action game like kingdom hearts 2 but the game is mechanically about starting with maximum health and you have transformations called absolute limits that you can use at any time and fully restore your health but permanently lower lowered for the rest of the game.
  • GL4D_TO_B3_HERE
    I don't really have a plan for the art style besides having a rough character sketch of the main character 
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an interesting sounding game. Seems like animation will be pretty important to a game like that. After getting your character done, working on animation would probably be a good next step.
    As for art style (and general methodology) when you're just starting out, keeping things simple is often better. The more complicated an art style/design/game is, the more time/people it takes to finish it. And there is often an elegance to simplicity.
    Also if making a full game is a higher priority for you than learning artistic skills you could always download pre-made assets from the Unreal Marketplace, or from the 3D art giveaway thread here on Polycount https://polycount.com/discussion/138341/the-great-3d-game-art-giveaway-thread/p1 and get a jump on the designing programming part of game creation. But if you want to challenge yourself and make everything from scratch, that's cool too, just be prepared to put in tons of work.

That said, best of luck to you bud  =)
  • GL4D_TO_B3_HERE
    That's an interesting sounding game. Seems like animation will be pretty important to a game like that. After getting your character done, working on animation would probably be a good next step.
    As for art style (and general methodology) when you're just starting out, keeping things simple is often better. The more complicated an art style/design/game is, the more time/people it takes to finish it. And there is often an elegance to simplicity.
    Also if making a full game is a higher priority for you than learning artistic skills you could always download pre-made assets from the Unreal Marketplace, or from the 3D art giveaway thread here on Polycount https://polycount.com/discussion/138341/the-great-3d-game-art-giveaway-thread/p1 and get a jump on the designing programming part of game creation. But if you want to challenge yourself and make everything from scratch, that's cool too, just be prepared to put in tons of work.

That said, best of luck to you bud  =)
    thank you a lot for the overall advice it is really useful I've never made a game before and this workflow perspective is really helpful