Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Environment] [UE4] Victorian Gothic City Revisit

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
AndrewMKelley polycounter lvl 7
Hey all!

It's been a hot second since I've posted recently, as I've been busy with some freelance work. After receiving some great advice from some really great artists, I decided to revisit one of my old environments and update it with all the knowledge I've gathered and techniques I learned since 2016. I usually worry quite a bit about optimization in my scenes, so I wanted to go wild and focus on just the art side of things this time (mostly). I'm really excited to hit this guy! It's an environment based on Bloodborne and it's wonderful architecture/level design.

Previous

Here's the previous version of the scene

Current

Current progress of the scene

Here's a refboard of some areas I really liked with some architecture that I'd like to replicate/shoot for. I also have a rough color scheme for the lighting

I'm going to keep the general layout of the old scene, but make some new additions to it. At this stage I'm still blocking out everything with new proportions and planning out texel density/trims and tileables, so here's what I have at the moment.

Just to visualize a bit better, I made a quick topdown to show the general player path and scribbled some additional changes to the layout.

Next up is blocking out the secondary forms, like doors, windows, smaller pillars, a fountain, manhole covers, the ladder, lamps, railing, etc..

I'll try to keep this updated regularly as best I can! Thanks for stopping by :smiley:

Replies

• AndrewMKelley
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewMKelley polycounter lvl 7
    Been a second since I updated!

So I've been going around and quickly blocking in medium details of the scene, and adjusting the additional part that I decided to add. 
    Here's the topdown as of now

And here are some angles I have roughed in at the moment with the new "medium" blockout

I decided to hold off on the smaller forms like lanterns until I have all my medium stuff slotted in. Windows and such can (and probably will) move once all that stuff is placed. 

Also, I thought this thing looked funny. My 30 second blockout gargoyle says hi haha

I'll update this once I have the majority of the scene blocked in here soon.