Home Career & Education

How has the corona virus affected your work arrangment?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
NikhilR polycounter
So far in Montreal, it seems likely that most studios are seriously considering remote work for a short period, though this might be extended.
As a freelancer I've always had flexible hours so besides my day job that might also face a bit of a dry spell, its work as usual.

Has the corona virus encouraged your studio to consider a remote work arrangement? Once the madness ends, do you feel that this arrangement should continue if it works out well for everyone?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yes

And

No, because working in isolation is a shit way to work as a team. 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    poopipe said:
    Yes

And

No, because working in isolation is a shit way to work as a team. 

Maybe it works out for some departments in a manner similar to what we have with outsourcing?
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    It's possible to work remotely, but it has a lot of advantages to share office space. There will always be outsourcer or single cases and cooperation between studios in different locations, but it comes at a cost and is by far not as efficient was working at the same place. I don't see the Coronavirus changing any of that. Maybe some small shifts in mindsets will be made through new experiences, but its not like studios have been too dumb to analyze the costs and benefits before without a global pandemic. Remote work is not a novelty in this industry.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Biomag said:
    It's possible to work remotely, but it has a lot of advantages to share office space. There will always be outsourcer or single cases and cooperation between studios in different locations, but it comes at a cost and is by far not as efficient was working at the same place. I don't see the Coronavirus changing any of that. Maybe some small shifts in mindsets will be made through new experiences, but its not like studios have been too dumb to analyze the costs and benefits before without a global pandemic. Remote work is not a novelty in this industry.
    I think it really depends on the scale of the operation and how many people in main roles insist on the practice.
    Moving to remote would be beneficial, though I'm not sure how heavily invested studios are on their budget for the space they are renting, so that is a massive amount to lose.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-building-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-with-80-people-working-from-home 

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Meh, I doubt office space rent is a major thing outside some crazy places like the Bay Area or small indie studios. Office space isn't just a cost factor but also a way to organize your teams, offer a sense of community, a chance to offer benefits,... if it would be just a cost factor you wouldn't see companies investing in designing their studios.

To be honest I am not thrilled at all at the prospect to work from home for the next couple of weeks - and I used to work freelance. Communication is affected, infrastructure is affected, our office has a far better light solution and desks than what many of us have at home, having your workstation 'invade' your home and having family life instersecting with your work space are also serious issues (not to mention security risks). There are also people who work less efficient without some supervision and disicipline that comes with having a team around you. Overhead is already increasing significantly just to organize it all.

There is also a huge difference sending people home that you know from your day-to-day work to signing on people to work remotely that you barely met in some interview situations.

So I am certain that there won't be a big change. None of these insights are new. There is a certain move to have more and more people working remotely, but this crisis won't make a significant impact on how this develops and definitely won't replace big studios anytime soon IMO.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Eloquently put. 

You can give instruction by email or text based messaging quite effectively but you can't throw ideas around or deal with less tangible concepts like effectively at all.  

• Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    I would probably be working in Madrid right now if it wasn't for this virus  :s
    I just hope the quarantine doesn't take that long
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yeah we just sent everybody into homeoffice. for how long, who knows. we thought about the end of the month but looking at how things are going in Madrid (my partner JUST went there for a job...) for instance, i bet berlin will do the same soon.
    It's certainly annoying especially with us just having settled into a new space. We will see how well this goes. We wanted to start doing homeoffice by testing it here and there and then setting up rules. now everybody was sent home, it will certainly be interesting.

luckily we can work from home in our industry, a lot of businesses will probably go bankrupt from this :/

that said, no i wouldnt wanna keep working from home. Being together with a team was one of the reasons airborn studios was founded, i wouldn't wanna switch that to working from home for a longer period if i can.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved from General Discussion into Career & Education.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    In Toronto here, sent everyone home last friday to work remotely, just me running the place to keep hardware up and ensure builds still get released. Going to be a pretty big disruption to our production schedule, but health comes first so we'll have to deal with it.
  • CrackRockSteady
    Everyone here working from home for the next month at least.

Since we're split across a couple different studio locations and have a a number of remote employees we were already set up for remote work so the transition was relatively easy.

There are some things that I like about working from home but as others have already pointed out, there are a lot of advantages to working together in person that I wouldn't want to lose permanently.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I live in the PNW and my office is only a few miles from the epicenter of the Seattle outbreak. As such we've been working from home since the first week of March. We luckily had the infrastructure for working remotely already in place and I had been splitting my time between my home office and the studio to look after my dog. 

Working from home has some benefits, but is not the ideal dream scenario that many imagine it to be. It takes discipline to maintain focus and not get distracted by household duties. It's isolating and lacks opportunity for spontaneous creativity, jokes and camaraderie. It's especially tough with the malaise of the Coronavirus hanging over everything. People tend to want to be around friends and family during a crisis, which is exactly the wrong thing to do right now. 

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    There's possible city shut down in Bangkok so we're having serious discussion about that atm. Pretty sure it's gonna happen.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Half my studio is working from home, the other half is trying to figure out a way to work from home. I feel like in 3 or 4 days we won't have a choice. There is plenty of parking, which is nice :#
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Same here in France, we're been working at home since yesterday.

It's very lonely and now I know I would hate working as a freelancer :)
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, a good chunk are working from home. I'm one of the few that'll be in the office. If it gets any worse, I'll pack my stuff and work from home too.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Been in self-isolation for 8 months now, preparing for this moment. Pants have been optional from day one.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Been in self-isolation for 8 months now, preparing for this moment. Pants have been optional from day one.

lol. about 6 years for me!

Wife is home all day now though, so that's nice.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I start delivering lecturers online next week, it should be interesting. I am more looking forward to talking to all the students and seeing how they are all holding up as its not pleasant for anyone right now. 

I just hope governments are backing company's to be making enough breathing respirators to go around because while its great to self isolate at some point we need to be able to move around again which is just going to cause a spike again and then we will have to back in isolation again. 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/infection-trajectory-flattening-the-covid19-curve/?fbclid=IwAR1g7Fhj3lWpg_e53gPrUZLUCj2lejsuU6sAAee4pQua-G31n8oDnmUtPos