Home Career & Education

Reducing crunch - is there any market research to suggest improved graphics matters at all?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

In this video these guys share some quotes from Naughty Dog workers who are having a terrible time developing TLOU2. Some question whether all the extra time spent on extreme polish like stubble on characters chin is really worth the effort.

Here's a hypothesis: If ND did nothing to improve the graphics of TLOU2 over the original, but only iterated on gameplay, characters/story, would it make a difference in sales? In market feedback (reviews, etc)?

And lets suppose that, yes, it wouldn't sell as many copies because a lot of consumers might say, "but da grafix ain't as good as COD". Would the money saved by simplifying production balance out with reduced sales?

There must be a point of diminishing returns when it comes to production and quality. If all your experienced veterans are quitting, I think that's an indicator you might be at that point.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Production duration = Time = Money = Pressure = Crunch

I don't appreciate it but it makes total sense to me that this exists on earth.

What you need is 

Production duration => smart management's time planing => More Time = More Money => cool management aiming for less profit => Even More Money = A Lot Less Pressure => smart management smartly directing pressure => So Much Less Crunch

But being smart and cool is not that easy if you have to pay around 300 people per month (to be fair it's more difficult to be cool and overall difficult to be smart)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don't think it's the ground level leaders onus to get 1000x smarter because the high brass has unrealistic expectations. That's what I am getting at here - unrealistic expectations.

But my question is, regarding the graphics arm race, does it even matter? Or is it easter island heads over nothing? Doesn't the success of the indie development scene indicate that there is little correlation between sales and constantly pushing graphics/cinematic level quality?

I mean I definitely understand the professional desire to always improve your craft. But people are killing themselves to make these games. And at least from whats reported in this video, it's bad enough that senior talent is jumping ship. That don't bode well for the future of the company, especially one whose corporate image is the serious guy who does shit right. If the B team is left in charge we'll probably start seeing the companies image go downhill with the next titles.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    There are people who don't like and don't buy indie games. So yes, I think it matters as there is, as I said, a market and it's not small.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Plenty of projects have crunch and are far from reaching any level of polish. There's someone's drive to do their best job possible and that can lead to self-assigned overtime. But the real crunch - the one enforced from on-high which sees people quit their jobs or end up in hospital - all the cases I have heard of it's been due to top level decisions affecting the overall project.

I don't have audio here right now so haven't watched the linked vid. Perhaps ND is indeed burning out people by forcing high quality chin stubble. I hope they put some on their girl protagonist this time, too.

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Reducing crunch comes from a ton of different places. Be the change you want to see in the world. If you don't believe crunch, don't do it. If you feel like you don't have a choice in the matter, then that's where we as skilled laborers need to band together against it.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    This article is related to the video you linked
    https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962

It seems like they don't have a production department, and its basically too many cooks?
    I mean I felt bad reading the article... 

Ugh, feeling like as fellow developers we ought to boycott the game when it comes out and be vocal about it? 
    That will beat some sense into the dead zone in their heads of the people that can do something about this.

I really don't believe the fans would really care if ND took more time to get the game out.
    Its a dedicated fan base so they will break even and profit, so unless they are working with considerable debt they don't stand to really lose much.

Maybe some of the crazier ones might send threatening letters, but honestly it comes down to deadlines and lot of the top tier folk there voluntarily putting themselves through hell likely because their lifestyle isn't balanced, so this is probably all they have?

Or its a mental health issue that fixates them on the achievement of a task? 

Ultimately its upto the company to tell them to go home, even if they do go home and play Last of Us part 1 all night only to show up in the morning and work on Last of Us part 2.

And honestly the stubble on the chin mentality is nuts, but maybe for some people it is really critical towards gaining satisfaction in their job? They've done remarkable work graphically, but that is not all the company is known for, so maybe they are just horrible at managing their work.
    Good of them to speak up though.

In the indie scene and with approaches like "early access" its a pretty proven model but many of these companies are too entrenched in the corporate process to change I feel.

Like add another year and absolutely stick to the development plan, I doubt the studio would belly up and liquidate given Sony's financial muscle.

This article on the God of War 4 team gives a fair bit of insight from the developer perspective
    https://kotaku.com/why-god-of-war-took-five-years-to-make-1825653009
    , maybe its just an internal thing with developers being blinded by their passion. 

On a personal note, I've pushed myself over long hours but this is on personal projects and experimental stuff that is close to me.
    In Naughty Dog's case the developers don't own any thing, its not like they get a dollar everytime a sack of grain deflates when a player shoot its, so not entirely sure why they get trapped in it. 

Like in many ways by joining the studio you are now a top tier ninja samurai rockstar, so why would you subject yourself to a lifestyle that is so far from the title.

Actually when you think about it, its something a ninja samurai might do for a daimyo, maybe thats the relationship here?
    Rockstar would probably f* off though.

Sometimes I wonder if by telling artists here to become top tier we're doing them a disservice without actually informing them about what they are getting into.
    Its important for everyone to do their due diligence.
    But I have met artists who really can't stop themselves, they are like automated tools, so get treated as such.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think people have to understand what normal is. Working your ass off without getting fair share of the reward isn't normal. If it was normal, it wouldn't be difficult to do. Sometimes in life it is necessary to struggle. Those times are called emergencies. But the entire purpose of human cooperation and communication is to avoid emergencies. So if we find ourselves working like there is an emergency, but there actually isn't, what does that indicate?

It's not like these companies turn a small profit. How can a self respecting adult work so hard to the point of damaging their health, knowing they aren't getting their fair share? That they could lose their job at any minute? Where is the dignity?

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Sry for all those involved in this and insane crunches all together, it is not good at all for your health or mental state.  Hearing that comment, "oh you are going home now, alright then have fun with that!", obviously negative comment towards a fellow employee that would rather put his/her health ahead of a product (not necessarily over the team) (if anything they wanted you to follow them) then put themselves at risk for a possible life threatening situation, especially if they have family.  It could be anything from a mugging in the neighborhood, to a heart attack, to a car accident, who knows...  

If crunch is an issue and the environment borderline hostile, I think the best thing to do is get together with fellow like minded people (connections you made, friends, other artists you would trust) and start an indie, especially if you are beyond talented.
    (I've done my time, as they say) seriously put myself at some dangerous risks and drank some concoctions to remain awake, (3 expresso shots inside a tall redbull for an example) going home from the city to meet all the lovely night people, to low pay at some state i had no idea bout, driving around emptiness in the dark. 

Your mind has to rest it doesn't matter how long how hard you go, the brain needs rest, you might make more mistakes staying up past 9/12(where you get your best sleep btw.) So if you are staying up later than that, i got bad news for you, i know because I've done it and had to learn the hard-way like most.  Which is the reason for my concern when people say i have been sick..

I thought "we" were making tools that would've removed the need for crunch?  isn't that why they are made, to make things, faster, easier..what happen?  idk because i am not apart of a team, sounds like a bad time and here i thought the image painted was sunshine and rainbows.
    Now i see why that union poll started up, besides the walk out that happen that probably triggered it.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's another thing to consider @DavidCruz . There is a point of diminishing returns with your own cognitive ability. If you pay attention to yourself very carefully, over time you'll start to realize that the more rest you get, the more productive your working hours are. So there is a optimum balance that can be achieved. Funny thing is, that was figured out a long time ago. The eight hour work day... 8 to work, 8 to play, and 8 to sleep. It's pretty sensible.

If you can't get the mission accomplished with it, you planned bad. Here's some advice for people working for a boss who planned bad: don't fix his mistakes for him. He'll never learn.

And a professional tip: don't work for pity or compassion. You work for money. That's it. If every minute you work doesn't have a dollar value attached to it, well you're being a buddy fucker aren't you? Lowering the standard for all of us.

Anybody who approaches you and tries to invoke pity or compassion to get you to do work needs to be culled from the team. Doesn't matter what their position is, but especially if its a leader, they are most definitely unfit.

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
     The eight hour work day... 8 to work, 8 to play, and 8 to sleep. It's pretty sensible.
    The low pay situation for me was a long, long time ago. @Alex Javor
    Starting as a "junior", and mentioned because of the students and freelance workers, non-registered people, basically to prevent it by bringing it up, glad you filled in the rest.

What is the issue with just hiring a night staff... people are there already late night, but they would be "refreshed and ready to go", i don't get studio's ways of thinking, yes its probably more $ but you put out more content which means more $.
    If people are willing to do crunch there got to be people willing to work night shifts at a game company.  Idk all the situations around that.

Not going to lie sorry for you all without a choice i am glad i am not in that mess.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it just really boils down to one thing : Shareholders, or whoever makes the decisions in the company, are going to push people as hard as they can be pushed for as little in return as possible. Pretty much no matter what the company set up is, this is just fundamental truth. If one person has power over another, they'll abuse it as much as they can.

But it can literally all stop overnight, because the people have the power. Power doesn't go top down. It's a shame Game of Thrones got so dumb at the end of the show, because the books actually contained some pretty decent wisdoms. One quote I recall is some banter between those two clever guys who are always conniving. And there is this riddle, the question is "where does power reside?" is it with the soldiers, or the generals, or the politicians, etc? And the answer is "where ever people believe it resides."

The solution is so dead simple. The challenge is only in getting large groups of people to all agree on something. Game development really ought to be a dream job. When soldiers go and die in wars, and parents sacrifice through tough times to give their kids a better opportunity, it's so that people can have fun lives doing shit like making games. So it's a real shame that game developers let businessmen suck the joy from it, all for the sake of gross greed.

What I'm saying it you got to have an ultimatem. Something like, I get a share of company profits in addition to a healthy salary, or you find someone else to fill my role. And then you shame the hell out of the chump who fills the job. And you keep doing that, louder and louder until there is no one willing to take on the social shame of working cheaper than they are worth. Then the wages have to go up.

I don't think there is much of anything more powerful that social pressure. It's a tool, and everybody should be using it. Not carelessly. I'm not saying to be calling out individuals all the damn time. But you got to think of yourself as a leader, and then it is your duty to influence culture the right way.

Or you start your own company. You find like minded people who got the right balance of skills. Profits are much slimmer now ofcourse, but you aren't a weak-ass fancy boy shareholder- you cut down your living expenses like a normal fucking human. It's easier than ever to make games. Trust me if I can make a game, any knucklehead can. I'm not joking when I say I'm pretty fucking stupid and have no talent whatsoever. You only need to have some discipline in planning and understand 101 risk management, and the rest is just goofing around.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Well if anything this corona virus episode is forcing many AAA studios to adopt remote work arrangements or risk liquidation, so seems like a pandemic was what was need to make a positive change, sounds horrible but a step in the right direction I feel.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think remote work is a step in the right direction. It will make it even easier to treat people inhumanely.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I don't think remote work is a step in the right direction. It will make it even easier to treat people inhumanely.
    Depends, I mean I have seen situations where it can work out especially with a disciplined staff.
    Like you cannot hand off remote responsibilities to a freshly graduated hire regardless of how top tier their portfolio is, there needs to be a mandatory period of training for the purpose. 
    with the corona virus many studios are being forced to consider it so this should be a good way to test if that is viable.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved from General Discussion into Career & Education.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
     - Graphics have stagnated since PBR has been introduced IMO. 2014 titles still look like they could be released today (with the exception of realtime GI/raytracing). 

- Graphics do NOT matter as much when it comes to selling a game now because of the above. Macro details matter the most, as when we released our own game the artwork was mediocre but 99% of the million players didn't seem to care. They noticed the non-mocap animations more than anything. 

- Coinciding with the above; artists spend way too long on tiny details players will NEVER care about. EVER. They could push the artwork to 80% (80/20 rule should be standard in games) and players would still be happy. As Mike Pavlovich once said, noone's gonna care about some high poly baked vent in the corner of a room once lighting and vfx are in..

I've seen some wicked weapons made by the best weapon artists, but when you view them ingame from FPS view all that detail is lost. The difference between an amateur and a professional with microdetails once the asset is ingame is negligible. I'll say it again MACRO DETAILS lol

Personally I think programming is the pitfall in the games industry. More often than not games release with bugs, unfinished features or just don't feel good from a mechanic standpoint. Players will overlook bad art if the game actually plays good, and that's a fact. Plenty of examples already out there on Steam that has far outsold even some AAA titles. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I know what you mean when you say macro details, but can you give some examples?  @tynew

ANd I agree too. There is a big difference between the way things look in published games versus what you see on artstation. And 9 times out of 10, after I finish a model and drop it in engine, the firs tthing I realize is how much time I wasted on needless details.

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Just a side note - the chest hair on Nathan Drake doesn't explain what other departments like gameplay and narative (both mentioned a the beginning of the video) crunch... The issue is much more complicated why companies crunch than 'higher fidelity graphics'.

Ironically looking at the topic of this thread and the 2 biggest games the guys mentioned for 2020 are Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 - I guess there is maybe an answer, but again it would over simplify complex topics.

For me personally the quality of a game is not reflected in its graphics. If the game is shit I won't care how much polish you put on the turd. But no one can deny that there is something special about the Witcher 3 and the Uncharted 4 - the second which I actually only watched as an uncommented playthrough and still was highly entertained and astonished -  presentation played a big part for both games' successes.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Scene lighting and composition would make up a large majority of work when it comes to art direction. They can do an excellent job obscuring mediocre assets, or promoting particular assets. When there are explosions, fog, debris and camera effects flying around it has to be considered. 

Macro details refers to large overall forms in terms of shape, colors, and detail. When you zoom out of the picture or step 5ft away how readable is any of the detail? Does it look excellent like a painting? This is what most players will see when viewing games from their monitor or TV. Great and well-known cinematographers are always framing each scene as a painting and stepping back looking at the big picture.

Even things like scratches and wear and tear, sculpted stuff in will never be readable once it's actually seen from the player. Weapons that have high levels of detailing on parts of it that are NEVER seen by the ingame camera...

There is absolutely NO need to be doing a high poly and baking down a prop/environment piece if it takes up a tiny portion of the screen or will only ever get seen a few times. A recent AAA PS4 game known for its graphics, had artists making bakes and sculpting wood on a jewellery box. It was never seen in a cutscene and was viewed from third person view. That's completely ridiculous and wastes time for the artist when they could be focusing on more important things. 

Yeah, it looks beautiful when you look at it up close, but players aren't artists. They look at the overall scene and how readable things are to them. There is a whole subreddit called moviedetails where theres tons of stuff that directors put in that viewers never notice. It's the same deal but for game art we spend thousands of hours more on these details. 

I will say though this is all in terms of production and delivering a product to players. What are they going to remember, that a game had a screw or greeble on a weapons scope, or that the gameplay was actually good

The only time graphics matters if it is if the overall presentation looks good, seen in a cutscene up close, or in your portfolio. 

Check out this thread and video https://polycount.com/discussion/150007/gdc-2015-next-gen-pipelines-presentation/p1 The sooner art directors can get their concepts ingame the more time they can spend iterating on actually making sure the overall art direction and presentation look good. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only mentioned graphics because that's what matters to the people here, but really I mean the entire presentation. I think you could scrutinize any department and probably cut out a lot of stuff, save lots of time and labor, and probably still deliver a viable product that will earn profit.

I understand that there is probably more people playing games who only play AAA blockbusters than those who touch indies, but my question still remains -- if TLOU2 had the exact same graphics as the original, would anybody care? Would sales be any lower?

I can still go play the original today and it remains as convincing as ever. So the only downside to not upgrading graphics is what? Company pride? Would there be any consumer backlash?

I could see some reviewers talking shit. "Lazy devs didn't even make better graphics!" but I could also see people jumping to the defense, "yeah but da gameplayz is gud. the devs wuz smart and focused on the right thing." But people reviewing games probably are outliers too. I don't know.

It's not somehting that you can speculate. I think the only way would be to test and find out. But some AAA companies are already doing this. Zelda, for instance, uses a simplistic art style and delivers richer gameplay than most of blockblusters. I saw Ubisoft is making a Zelda clone, so maybe they are trying something new to save production cost.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew said:
    Scene lighting and composition would make up a large majority of work when it comes to art direction....
    I missed your reply.

Yeah that all makes sense to me.

There was a game that was pretty much universally praised for it's next gen graphics that came out a few years ago. But I actually had to stop playing it becuase it was making my eyes hurt. I know that sounds crazy, but there was like so much hyper detail on everything, and so much small things moving on screen at once, it just drove me crazy. And I've been playing shooters since forever, so it's not like somethign I'm unaccustomed to.

There was a few beautiful vistas in the game, but most of the time it seemed like a chaotic nightmare to me. It also had a weird clash between old school abstract games and props that seemed like they belonged in a realistic world. YOu have the super tall cliffs boxing everything in, so the background is usually gray rock, but then like realistic natural stuff inside. It all jsut felt weird to me.

But everybody was singing praises about it, so who cares what I think. I'm certain the game made a big profit, but I wonder if the art production could have been halved for a better result.

Anyway, yeah good post.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    . So the only downside to not upgrading graphics is what? Company pride? Would there be any consumer backlash?

Sometimes I wonder if this is done to justify a larger investment and thus acquire a larger piece of the profit.

Which isn't a problem. Its killing yourself to achieving it and screwing everyone else in the process which is the problem.
    If Last of Us 2 released next year, no one would be the worse for it.

Sure you'd have to pay people for longer, but once the game is released the amount you make on sales day 1 is more than enough to cover it with a lot extra left over for execs and share holders to pocket.

It would be good to get some perspective from any ND devs here on polycount, though from the article I linked it really seems like this is all because of a lack of production team that can force the lifers there to take in easy and go home to their families, so that everyone can take a breather.

Also adding sacks of grain that deflate when shot at does not matter, like it matters to the dev who suggested the idea and likely broke a lot of the game adding it in the process.

We see this happen a mad lot in 3rd party QA, one tiny mostly unnecessary change can screw up everything without warning and then you're stuck fixing it for the rest of the week.
    And when this happens, everything else slows down and screams for crunch time.

A production team is absolutely necessary to tell devs whether their suggestion really matters in the long run, since they interface with marketing so have a better idea of what matters and how much time to put into it.

Of course if they are all useless (not the teams, rather their process of figuring out what matters) then you might get a situation like Ubisoft's Starlink Battle for Atlas.

In that game the addition of physical ships as a toy line, in addition to having  DLC ships that could be bought online was absurd. 

There was no need for any physical ships on top of a controller, with the massive failure that is the toys to life market, anyone a mile away could see the absurdness of including that feature, let alone compete against toy brands.

I do like the aspect of experimenting with ideas, though it is very important to understand how it fits in with market realities.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Alex Javor if TLOU2 had the exact same graphics as the original, would anybody care? Would sales be any lower?

Explicitly relating a thought as a core gamer/consumer...an emphatic no, on both counts and usually afaik sales are typically driven by the entire AAA package, not so much hinging on just one part of the whole.

The vid btw, starkly illustrates a consequence when adult cognoscente normalcy gets hoiked out tha window in extreme cases which sadly is just a continuance of a similar 'work ethic' my friends had experienced 16yrs ago...speaks volumes.

I dunno, that level of angst especially these days should be confined too history, sooner rather than later. Well, IMHO if GWU continues gaining momentum, definitely for sake of all those kids starting out, then I for one certainly hope so.    
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Alex Javor if TLOU2 had the exact same graphics as the original, would anybody care? Would sales be any lower?

The vid btw, starkly illustrates a consequence when adult cognoscente normalcy gets hoiked out tha window in extreme cases which sadly is just a continuance of a similar 'work ethic' my friends had experienced 16yrs ago...speaks volumes.

Can you elaborate? I had to google cognoscente (great word) but I'm still not sure I understand what you were getting at in this sentence.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Honestly as a gamer i was more amazed at the vfx or the lighting/post processing of a game. Texturing can only go so far in terms of realness, especially now with the scans.You can't improve texturing anymore. And even if you could (8k textures), i wouldn't want a 160gb game installed on my expensive SD. So no, don't polish texturing THAT much
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Honestly as a gamer i was more amazed at the vfx or the lighting/post processing of a game. Texturing can only go so far in terms of realness, especially now with the scans.You can't improve texturing anymore. And even if you could (8k textures), i wouldn't want a 160gb game installed on my expensive SD. So no, don't polish texturing THAT much

One thing I think I have decided from my current game project is that I won't do realism art style anymore. It is actually my preferred style, but it simply takes too long to do. I suppose if you can afford all the scanning technology and time to do that, it may make sense. But not for me.

I think what you suggest is a really tough thing to do. Decide what is and isn't important. Because it is not easy to measure. The surest thing to do is just copy what has been successful in the past, which is why you got so much derivative work I suppose.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Larry said:

One thing I think I have decided from my current game project is that I won't do realism art style anymore. It is actually my preferred style, but it simply takes too long to do. I suppose if you can afford all the scanning technology and time to do that, it may make sense. But not for me.

I think what you suggest is a really tough thing to do. Decide what is and isn't important. Because it is not easy to measure. The surest thing to do is just copy what has been successful in the past, which is why you got so much derivative work I suppose.
    Before i started making 3d art, me and my friends were saying that game companies have set the bar high with some games they did, and they cannot maintain it. Gamer's demand and greed is over the top. Or it's just us that got older and cannot be satisfied easily. New generation is still fresh on old titles, (like LoL and WoW) so i guess if you stick around for long enough, your fan base will be renewed?
    It pains me to say it but the appreciation of graphic detail is minimal. Yes it needs to have a standard realism level (if we talk about realism),but people be passing through an area saying "wow that's nice" for 5 seconds.
    So in the end, instead of 5 seconds of appreciation, get 3 and save $$
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I worked a bunch of overtime the last 2 weeks. None of it was related to 'realism' or  graphical quality, just adding additional options for the player/production staff. To be honest since I've started learning 3d 5 years ago and now the amount of time spent on a realistic character hasn't changed that much. With a smart pipeline that shares tertiary details (which is anyhow necessary for optimisation) you don't do more work than previously. Actually less.

Even in my personal art I'm switching now to share uvs and base texture for my characters through re-using basemeshes to save hard disk space and time with things that don't matter as much so I can focus on the main parts. This results in quality gain without taking more time to do stuff. 

Again every department is crunching so graphics can't be the reason for it. Players expectations and developers are rising (and rightfully so) which results in overall more ambitious projects. The only issue for crunch is bad planning, everything else are bs-excuses.

You can't even argue that graphics shouldn't be that important just because there are indi games with less polished/ambitious styles. Its like saying you don't need anime because there is soccer on TV. Each game requires its own individual efforts to make it work to the full extent and live up to its full potential. Uncharted 4 wouldn't have been as spectacular without all the effort put into the graphics, animations and vfx. Sure some people at Naughty Dog went overboard, but I promise you, as someone who is himself that way, there are people at those studios that will sit 12 hours each day and work even if the deadline isn't approaching fast or any producer demands it. Sometimes actually management has to step in and cut stuff we want to add because its already enough and time to move on.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is what I am meaning to say. Part of bad planning is not defining your goal clearly so that you can know if you went to far or got off on a tangent.

I don't think I suggested that graphics arms race alone is reason for crunch. Of course a programmer can spend needless hours adding whatever insignificant details too. But graphics is what people here are doing so that's why I talk about it specifically.

About people working too many hours all on their own, of course I understand that. I don't think I've worked an eight hour only day in years. Always it's ten or more. BUT - and it's a big but - I am working on my own time. There is laws and regulations about overtime - if you are giving a company more of your time than they are paying for, you are negatively effecting working conditions for everybody else. It becomes a real problem when too many people do it and it becomes a norm, or expected.

People working a lot because they want to work a lot is no problem. If you love your work, that is awesome. But people getting fired because they are not willing to keep up with the young stud who has yet to burn themselves out is bad business. Not just because of the human cost, but I think this could probably spell trouble for long term survival of companies. You need old talent. If majority are switching careers after ten years, what kind of product do you expect to be making in 20 years?

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Ok, I absolutely agree with you on not working on your own time and sticking to the law. Still I even understand people working more hours than required by the company just to push to the point they are happy with it. But that's basically a personal trade off anyone has to make for themselves.

All I'm saying is that the situation at these big studios is far more complex than people realise. We have people working 8-5 Monday to Friday next to people who work nearly twice as much in the same department (keep in mind our overtime is paid). So a part of the bad planning is driven by overly ambitious staff, not just management. This can easily get out of hand when it comes to planning. I for example noticed that I already plan my personal stuff for the month with a clear amount of overtime often forgetting to take into account that i could get sick or something else from normal life might interfere. On the other hand I do plan for dependencies and or other risks at work. Now my producer has to take into account where my deficiencies in planning are and same for all other people that give estimates at the beginning of the month. Then coordinate with all other departments/teams around. With things being as complex as they are in games and project being highly ambitious those little planning errors end up in huge timesinks and then its up to how much buffer you have. 

So that arms race is a much smaller factor in every department compared to the nature of the beast when highly complex and big projects are planned and executed.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the main thing is, if anything is going to change for the better, it has to be demonstrated that working overtime and not being serious enough about project planning has a negative financial impact. And so for that to happen there has to be people willing to take a risk and do some experimentation. And there has to be pressure to do so.

Mid-level managers kicking people out the doors when they've hit their eight hours is definitely a good thing. That's smart leadership. You've got to keep the tools sharp if you want to do more than one project with them.

One thing I wonder about - way back when I worked fast food in high school, our managers were always super careful about letting people work overtime. Because they don't want to pay it. But I keep reading news stories about games industry workers working insane overtime and not getting paid for it. Isn't this a law? Maybe not outside the US? Or is it just flagrantly broken because nobody says anything? What's the deal there?

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:

It pains me to say it but the appreciation of graphic detail is minimal.
    I feel the same way. But then I don't know if we would be in the same audience that buys the latest blockbuster games. I typically don't play AAA games anymore, but I do like Naughty Dog games because they actually have some legit gameplay, but I recall in the last one just blazing through areas that looked like probably a team of people spent millions of dollars to create. In fact, by about 2/3rd of the way through the game I was getting tired of one big set piece after another. JMO but I feel like if every scene looks like an epic, glorious masterpiece, it starts to get repetitive and boring.

And then when it comes to multiplayer you turn the graphics down for the frames boost anyway.

Like there is that saying, "every frame a painting" or something like that. But I think if you follow that, its going to limit your range of what you can communicate with the art, you know what I mean? It's like if I am trying to pick up a girl, I'm not just going to deliver all of my best one liners, right? You got know when to be quiet, read a situation, and so on. I don't think "try as hard as you can always" is the right maxim to follow.

Anyway just rambling.