Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Azula 3D FanArt (From Avatar: The Last Air Bender)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Astrocoolbug polycounter lvl 2
Edit: Final render
Link to ArtStation:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/baGQJr

This is Azula, I've been working on this model on and off and was mainly using it for practice on a couple techniques but I want to fully flesh out the character now. I have bits and pieces of progress kind of everywhere right now but I'll dump the progress so far. I've sculpted a good amount of the character already and have retopoligized most of the character. Still working on UVs and the hands especially. The shoes need some work and I really just want to work on getting the appeal of this character down. I'm going to auto rig this model as well at the end hence why she's not posed.

Things I would like feedback on:

- I've gotten used to making the hair have the anisotropic shading now but I'm having a hard time with the transition of the hairline.
- I wanted to get some thoughts about the general silhouette as well, Avatar really excells in its 2D medium so I'm not really trying to make a 3D version of the 2D style, it's more just informing the design.

How I did this eyes for the renders above.

These are also some early screen grabs of the zbrush sculpt so you can gauge where I started with this project.

Also for the hair, this is the flow map I made, it seems to work well but I also just started doing these so if you notice anything I should fix let me know.

Some extra information:

Programs I'm using: Zbrush, Maya, Marmoset (For baking and rendering), and Substance Painter.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work!
    The eyes look crossed to me. If you dont want to decrease the nose bridge you could rotate the eyeballs out away from the centre.
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga thanks for the reply, yeah I have it center for when I rig the eyes but I think its also the camera's focal length in Marmoset because it looks different in Maya. I usually adjust it before taking screen grabs but I didn't this time around so I'll change it for my next posting.
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been making some more progress with Azula and have Put together my first pass for her textures. There a few baking issues which I think I'll just touch up in photoshop but on the whole I'm pleased with how she's turned out so far. Hope you all enjoy!

Also I'll post a breakdown of how I did a few things in the next post.

Next I will most likely be using an auto rigger this time and just spend time fixing the skinning. I don't want to spend too much in set up this time around since my last project took so long because of that.
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile since i updated this character but I did end up finishing this project. I'll post some screen grabs but you should head over to the ArtStation link if you want to see a full breakdown. Let me know what you all think!

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/baGQJr
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I BELIEVE the way the corners of the mouth "insert" into the head are a bit off.  Hopefully this is fixable in the LP mesh, but if not, I'd go and and poke them in further.

I like the eye solution.
  • TJ_Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ_Works polycounter lvl 5
    Agreed with Brian above. The mouth stretches out a little too much horizontally.

Her fingernails could be sharper too. That was a big part of what sold her original design; alot of sharp, acute edges applied to both her Fire Nation clothing and physical features, including her sharpened fingernails.

Good work though. :)
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for both of your feedback, I've come up with a better workflow for mouths since I did this model so I hope to incorporate that in future models but I agree with how it ends. I can try fixing it in the LP but it may be a little difficult

And I do agree about the hands as well. I need to take some time and really find a good workflow for hands because I think I rush them since I struggle making them.
  • Azulafan2020
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks amazing! You did a wonderful job. I'm happy to see this since Azula's my favourite character 🔥⚡