Home General Discussion

Some ppl say - concept art is dead - WHY ?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Not true in the slightest. That video title you're referencing is just clickbait.
    The methods employed to create concept art are changing, but concept art is and will continue to be used in well managed / planned / funded productions for the foreseeable future.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    After you learned to retopo.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    PolyHertz said:
    Not true in the slightest. That video title you're referencing is just clickbait.
    The methods employed to create concept art are changing, but concept art is and will continue to be used in well managed / planned / funded productions for the foreseeable future.
    and even here this applies only for realism maybe, just like 3d production for realism has changed a lot.

but stuff that can't just be photographed or filtered to look like you want it to look, will still have to be made just like it is today.

the tools here will also change, but probably not as much as with anything that can be scanned, filtered or simulated. because those things definitely will be scanned, filtered or simulated.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you watch the video, you'll get the point that he is saying the methods of concept art have evolved. That is all.

The TLDW is : "don't do shit from scratch. Cheat and go fast because the point of concept art is fast iteration of ideas"
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Photo bashing, collage, overpaint... i don't like those things, but too many ppl use it, so they may think concept art is dead.

I'm more for a traditional concept art, without "cheats", just true drawing skills.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    As Alex says,  that's not what he's saying. 

It's actually one of my favourite talks in terms of pragmatic approaches to working.
    We're here to make games not indulge in masturbatory artistic purism after all
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    focus_method ignore this vid's title.

I'd suggest re-setting your binary supposition, because again research is key...wiki Concept Fundamentals or indeed OPB prior to recommending a second viewing. His presentation is really quite informative, discussing various illustrative 2 and/or 3d techniques plus art styles, that are applied day to day in a production environment which is prominently the overarching premise here i.e: "time is money"

EDIT:
    Just an aside, concept visualisation/interpretation Is also leveraged elsewhere via disparate non entertainment industries, for a heck of a lot longer, too. So, personally don't foresee it's imminent demise anytime soon.    
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Artist careers are dead because of robuts.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    With concept art you're not making the final product. The concept art isn't supposed to be sold by itself. If you're making concept art you're making a plan for other artists to follow.
    So it doesn't matter what technique you use. Or even if it's well drawn. It's about conveying the idea to the artist. The important thing is the idea. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    A hour+  for what could be done in a few lines of text.    Always wondered why such kind of "entertainment" exists, people pay and go  etc. 
    Once visited similar kind of a conference   and hardly been able to tolerate it
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    gnoop said:
    A hour+  for what could be done in a few lines of text.    Always wondered why such kind of "entertainment" exists, people pay and go  etc. 
    Once visited similar kind of a conference   and hardly been able to tolerate it
    I've worked with concept artists who could do a concept in under a minute. 

An example of how rough concept art can be is some concept art from tim burton. 

clearly his concept art works without being 'technically good'