Home Marmoset

Pixelated Normal Map Artifacts

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NURBS polycounter lvl 3
I'm modeling a gun with a scope and have just gotten to the baking phase of my project and I've run into a small problem. It's not a huge problem but it's really annoying me. On my high-poly mesh I have several small objects (screws and bolts and stuff) that are showing up fairly pixelated on my low-poly when I bake it in marmoset. Everything else is very smooth and looks exactly as I would like except for these sections.
In my high-poly mesh, the screw is a separate object. The area the screw is located is just a flat plane in my low-poly. I'm baking at 4k resolution. I can't figure out what is wrong.

Replies

• NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    Nevermind. That's just what it looks like before it's actually baked. I was looking at the preview bake. Please ignore this post.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple tips:

1. You can increase the Samples setting in the baker object to get better anti-aliasing
    2. Your edges are very hard on the screw so there isn't much detail for the baker to pick up - try adding thicker bevels to this part in the high poly. Here's an image showing consistent bevel width vs smaller bevel width for smaller details, note how the thick bevel widths hold up better. The normal map only has so many pixels to represent the detail.

From: https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/ (Best Results section)