Home Adobe Substance

Help! Bizzare issue with mesh/UVs

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
robinmcdiarmid polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, need a bit of technical help, I have baked my normal and AO maps in Substance Painter without a cage and the material is only showing on certain polys of the mesh, this also occurs when I apply colour in Maya.

I tried baking with a cage and at different resolutions, neither solved this problem.

My workflow for this project: maya>3dcoat unwrap>zbrush sculpt>bake/texture substance painter.

I'm sure it's a silly mistake I've made somewhere. Any ideas?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Most efficient way to troubleshoot is to retrace your steps. Same way as if you lost your car keys.

So begin at step one. The models you baked - lets check both of those (the target and the source). Next is the UV layout. Need to look at that. Afterwards comes the actual baking, but it's easier to only do one thing at a time.
  • robinmcdiarmid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Far as I can tell the normal map has applied perfectly, the high poly to low poly bake seems to have worked fine, they both occupy the same coordinated prior to exporting to substance, I hardened the uv shells, and the UV itself seems to be fine also, as there is no overlap and decent padding. Here's a shot of the model in maya and the uvs.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    each material assigned in maya creates a separate texture set.  your layer stack only applies to one texture set. 

if you want the final asset to use a single material, assign a single material to all the parts in maya
  • robinmcdiarmid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    each material assigned in maya creates a separate texture set.  your layer stack only applies to one texture set. 

if you want the final asset to use a single material, assign a single material to all the parts in maya
    Yep that fixed it, thank you! Seems like a stupid mistake, my plan was to use masks based on colour ids, how can I do this without using multiple materials on the mesh?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In substance press the 4 key and you can paint by UV shells, tris, quads, or mesh islands.

SO you make a mask and then a paint filter into that mask, then you can control it that way.

I don't bake in painter, but I took a look and it looks like you can change parameters of the ID map. So you can change it to MESH ID and that will assign a different color per mesh island, I expect.

• robinmcdiarmid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys!

I don't bake in painter

Incidentally how do you bake? Is there a better way than the method I am currently using? Looking to stop using xNormal to be honest
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset Toolbag is the best. Very artist friendly and has everything you need + more.