Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter normal map baking

MetalMan3D
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
MetalMan3D polycounter lvl 3
Hello, i've encountered this problem while baking high poly to low poly in substance painter. I've modeled these in blender. These weird lines are made anywhere the edge is marked as sharp. There are no overlaps on UV and meshes have no seams. 

Someone told me that the problem was that UV wasn't split where i had marked edges as sharp. So since i didn't want my mesh's UV to be split into 4-5 parts (which was totally unnecessary) i just removed sharps and the bake ended up like i suspected, with weird bending shading on normals:

There has to be a solution to this :disappointed:

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    These weird lines are made anywhere the edge is marked as sharp. There are no overlaps on UV and meshes have no seams. 

Turns out, it is super necessary. :smile:

Split your UV's where you've got hard edges to remove those black lines, only other option  as you've shown, is to have ugly (and unwanted) gradients in your normal map.
  • MetalMan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MetalMan3D polycounter lvl 3
    Split your UV's where you've got hard edges to remove those black lines, only other option  as you've shown, is to have ugly (and unwanted) gradients in your normal map.
    I thought too much splits in UV wasn't a good thing. Like, you have to split for example 25 degree edges too? 
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    If you are splitting your smoothing reasonably, like at 40-50 angles, then its completely justified to split those UV's wherever, since you already have the cost of splitting them by smoothing. If you were splitting your UV's at a super low angle threshold, like 20-25... you'll have a lot more smoothing splits, therefore more UV splits.

It's not UV splits that aren't a good thing, it's way too many smoothing splits that aren't. :+1: