Home General Discussion

Reality of Moodboards in Production

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
zachagreg ngon master
So obviously mood boards are important and a huge boon to any artist that uses them. Utilizing reference IMO is one of the most overlooked things for beginner artists and can lead a lot of people off of 3D art and game art. So I am not wondering about their validity. Rather I am wondering what the reality is for time and various positions of using them.

Is it realistic to expect time for reference and mood boards to be gathered/created?
How much time? Obviously this question is going to vary so whatever your personal experiences are would work.
Would an environment/prop artist be doing reference and mood boards or would that fall more on the shoulders of concept artists?
How do the processes of reference use and gather differ between production artist and leads?
What are some ways that leads can help their artists in regards to reference?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I saw a pretty amazing mood board and concept art dump/break down on Twitter yesterday, does someone have a link to it? I forgot to save it. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    this is only obliquely related, but when working with contracted programmer for indie game project I've found taking extra time to make video/graphic presentation to demonstrate end-user experience, along with itemized checklist of task to perform, makes for smoother sailing than if I just did checklist alone. It just clears up a lot of communication errors.

I'd expect an art director to use moodboards, along with other things, to help artist all get on same page about looks and feels of the final product.

• ZacD
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    as a lighting artist and now especially as a lead i create moodboards for pretty much every map, zone and task I am about to tackle or have other artists tackle. I always have a big pure ref board for each major area that I am constantly adding to while working on with refs and ideas,
    but before starting a level I will usually sit down for atleast a couple hours and grab a ton of refs and color ideas etc. 

you probably shouldnt be spending multiple days creating moodboards for a prop or small environment, but a 1-3 hours at the start of each task is probably relevant and worth the time investment. like I said, I get the initial ideas down in purref and then add to it as i go and find more stuff in line with what i am doing.

this is super important, it helps me stay focused and reminds me of things I want to add, and more importantly with multiple artists working on lighting and environments, it helps everyone stay consistent if everyone knows the visual direction for fog density, light/shadow ratio, color saturation etc. so the entire game looks cohesive even if tons of people are building out the world and lighting it. 

you probably wont be given explicit time/tasks of creating moodboards, just factor it into your time estimates when a producer asks you how long you need for something. if you are assgined a prop and think its gonna take a 3 days to make, quote 3.5 or 4 days to give yourself some breathing room. i usually add 30% to my time estimates to include stuff like this, it doesnt make you look slow if you give yourself some wiggle room, it makes you look competent when you deliver it on the time you said you did. always pad your time estimates exactly for reasons like spending time on important things like this. 

also a lot of the time at the start of a game, during pre-production this is where things like these get created at  a macro level atleast for planning out the world, assets and visual look. 

in production you are super lucky if every task you work on you get a concept for it, a lot of the times a map will have a single moodshot or key concept art that you are responsible to extrapolate from for both environment artists, designers and lighters etc. a lot of the time an art director will provide a super high level moodboard, but the more micro/detail ones you tend to create yourself to help you as you work.

moodboards for props, materials and assets are good, with pictures of surface materials, smaller details etc.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD said:
    But she doesn't talk about Moodboards at all in this thread? 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    this is only obliquely related, but when working with contracted programmer for indie game project I've found taking extra time to make video/graphic presentation to demonstrate end-user experience, along with itemized checklist of task to perform, makes for smoother sailing than if I just did checklist alone. It just clears up a lot of communication errors.

I'd expect an art director to use moodboards, along with other things, to help artist all get on same page about looks and feels of the final product.

We share the same personal experience in that. I am currently putting together a bunch of graphics to expressly show a client end-user experience while our programmers are handling the generalized checklists. I would almost always expect to see some kind of moodboard when talking about conceptual or large scale ideas of something. Especially with clients since they are not usually as well versed in the various aspects of development and concepts may not come across as well.

Bunch of good stuff

This question actually came up after telling one of the members on my team about your video of creating various reference boards when starting a project. As I wanted to know what the sort of process is for a lead regarding use of reference by team members as well as time expectations. What you've said regarding time makes complete sense. I wouldn't expect someone to list every single activity of asset creation as a spare chunk of time so reference and mood board creation are just part of it and should be factored into the whole estimate.

We almost never receive what would be called concept as most of our work is simulations but we do have periods where we get these large reference dumps from photoshoots.

One of the main reasons I was asking is that before handing off an asset to begin work or placing it on our to do board is sort through some of those photoshoots to provide them with some starting reference and a good foothold on producing the asset.
    Is this normal or would it be more likely to be a once in a while matter with AAA/AA production? I imagine the time investment just doesn't scale with things like this.

Also thank you for your responses on this everyone :)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Mood boards are totally a thing.
    You have 20mins to make one, and hardly anyone except you will look at it though.