Home Technical Talk

Blender baking problem

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Cirmius polycounter lvl 3
Hi,
sorry for my noob problems (probably this one won't be the first I put on this forum), but I really want to know the best solutions since the beginning as a developing 3d artist.

I tried to bake normal map of my well in Blender (ray distance 0.5, merge 5). It looks like this:

The thing is that it looks deformed, mostly irrational on the wheel.

When I seperate the wheel from a well mesh it doesn't make this artifacts. Is there any other solutions? I've also heard that Blender sucks at baking normal maps, but I would want to hear it directly from somebody.

Replies

• ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
    0.5 Blender unit is half a meter. I don't know how big in your scene the object really is, but I can clearly see the overshoots in the normal bake. You need to lower the ray distance.

When I seperate the wheel from a well mesh it doesn't make this artifacts. Is there any other solutions?

Blender doesn't suck at baking normal maps. You set the ray distance so high, that the wheel is picking up normal information from the well mesh. That's why it doesn't make artifacts when you separate them.
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the answer.

I reedited all the post, because I realized that I'm baking with normal map active on model, so half of my problems is gone XD

Still, ray distance at 0.3 (the first screen) or 0.03 (second) is problematic for my mesh

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    If you insist on baking in blender, take a look into exploding meshes. It'll solve your issue where you can have all your seperate elements far apart from eachother, allowing you to have a higher ray cast amount without bleeding onto other objects. 

This process is solved by most bakers allowing you to isolate your meshes via naming conventions, rather than physically isolating them.

• Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    If you insist on baking in blender, take a look into exploding meshes. It'll solve your issue where you can have all your seperate elements far apart from eachother, allowing you to have a higher ray cast amount without bleeding onto other objects. 

This process is solved by most bakers allowing you to isolate your meshes via naming conventions, rather than physically isolating them.

Thank you for the answer, it opened my mind :). Do you recommend some other aplications to bake other than Blender? I tried also with xNormal, but it usually tells me that i have ngons in model (which is not true).

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @Cirmius

Marmoset TB3 is quite the standard nowadays, if not, substance painter is solid :smile:

• Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    @Cirmius

Marmoset TB3 is quite the standard nowadays, if not, substance painter is solid :smile:

Can Marmoset also combine normal maps?
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Not that I know of, but why would your normal maps be split in the first place? Combine your UV's/meshes first before baking, therefore getting a normal map with both UV sets in it
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    Not that I know of, but why would your normal maps be split in the first place? Combine your UV's/meshes first before baking, therefore getting a normal map with both UV sets in it

Yeah, the UV of them is combined, but I mean like if you have mesh with different type of materials on its UV (wood, metal etc): I always baked wood for all the UV, then metal for all the UV and so on and so on, then I combined them in Photoshop (I mean not with opacity, but with puting the right normal where it should be). Do you say I can bake it immediately (just with telling the application the paremeteres of each UV island)?
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Yeah no need to split it up in that sense for game-production stuff. You can contain all your meshes regardless what 'material' it is, into one UV texture, to save yourself from doing that step.