Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Material not showing in viewport

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node
Type your message

I notice this is a common question and have tried the solutions in a couple different threads. All I'm trying to do is apply a solid color to an element of my mesh. Using scanline I put a standard material in the slate view, applied it to the selection, changed the color, and made sure show material in viewport was enabled which it was. 

My object is an editablepoly object.

I have tried a UV map modifier.

In preferences I am using nitrous 11.

I've tried using a multi-submaterial. 

I'm not sure where to find what render engine I'm using but I'm not even sure if that would be the problem here.

My next step is about to be to reinstall but I want to check for any final suggestions before I do that

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A screenshot of your result will help, including your setup in the Slate editor.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    I included a screenshot with as much information as I thought possible. I have half of the element I am trying to texture so you see the lack of results.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the screenshot, it really helps.

Show Map In Viewport is not enabled in Slate. 

The material or map node will show a large red diagonal in its header (the blue or green top part), when Show is turned on.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    I presume you mean the icon beneath the view tab? Yeah I enabled it and nothing changes.

Also, I just imported another mesh form Blender that I had already assigned some colors to and they're still not populating in the viewport on that one either and I can see them in the scene materials of the Material/Map Browser. I'm not sure what the issue is. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That material has no textures.

I suggest you follow the tutorial that comes with the product. You do not understand enough of 3ds Max to problem solve on your own by stabbing in the dark. Following an official tutorial will not be a waste of your time.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    Yes, that is the thing. I am following a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQL_yq6Q5U and the very first thing the person begins working with is the compact editor, which is what I was working with. I do not understand everything about the slate, I used that in the picture for reference because you requested it.

The very first thing that he demonstrates, changing the material color and dragging and dropping into the viewport, does nothing for me. I feel like I'm doing that much correctly and that it is something with Max.

That being said, I did a small test and found something out. When I create a new file and add a sphere and drag and drop a material and change the color, that works just fine. But when I add a sphere in the file I am working with and do the same steps, then it doesn't work. I'll go ahead and attach the file with the very base model because thats probably be the easiest way to troubleshoot this. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L3sn4xObdh_sxNqTc5hIN2H6i3fXR-A3/view?usp=sharing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    Also, when I import the mesh into a new file it displays the texture just fine. But I've been importing it into a scene I'm already working with so that means I must have done something with the scene to disable textures at some point but I cannot pinpoint what.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hay, Max 2019. Sorry, I'm using 2018.