Home Technical Talk

How to isolate/select/edit inner part of the head in 3ds max?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 5
Hi,
is there any way i can select and edit inner part of the mesh in 3ds max?
So for example i have an object, a cartoon head and i want to select and edit  inner part of the mouth so i can make pharynx. I need to approach from back of the head.
In zbrush  you do  that with selection tools...... but how to do it in 3ds max?
I probably need to isolate that part of the mesh im working on interior and when i finish  to get it back. 
i haven't found any tutorials on yt yet.

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2

There are Hide/Unhide tools under "Edit Geometry".

You can use these tools together with Material IDs; I would give certain selections a specific ID, then use the "select ID" to re-select previous defined IDs (selections in this case) and use above tools to isolate them.

There's also the isolate selection in the viewport (right click viewport, under display tab), but those only work on object level.

Hope it helps.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi said:

There are Hide/Unhide tools under "Edit Geometry".

You can use these tools together with Material IDs; I would give certain selections a specific ID, then use the "select ID" to re-select previous defined IDs (selections in this case) and use above tools to isolate them.

There's also the isolate selection in the viewport (right click viewport, under display tab), but those only work on object level.

Hope it helps.
    why is it passive ? i can't access it ,why ?
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    why is it passive ? i can't access it ,why ?
    Only works on (selected) vertices and faces. Otherwise I wouldn't know why it's greyed out.

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get it.
    Thank you so much !!!!