Home Career & Education

What is the darkside of 3d character artist job ?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hi,
i know there is no easy job out there but i wonder according to your opinion could you share your thoughts...
what are the downsides of this job?

Working for AAA vs  indie game dev. does it makes difference in terms of where is harder or easier ?

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I have to say you're asking very interesting questions but if I look through all the posts you did here on pc I have the feeling you post 95% existential questions and 5% actual work. 

So maybe the dark side is: there is a lot to worry about?! (at least that does perfectly match my experience)

But anyway.. You should do it bc you love it and maybe.. maybe you can make a living from it.. Probably not.. but if you love it then it doesn't really matter.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    There are far easier jobs to get in that also pay far better, for less hours, and come with far less problems and issues.

Most people I know never had to move to another country. Never had to deal with such extreme competition in their job. Many of them earn more than I do. Very few of them work as many hours as I do.

Also I doubt there is even a handful of people in that mentioned group that loves their job and current situation as much I do mine. Still I don't recommend getting into video games, especially as an artists, if you are not desperately longing for that kind of job (artists don't have as many plan B options as managers or programmers who can simply switch industries).
  • bystry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, good question. Since I don’t buy this “do what you love...” bullshit I think art and game development is mainly a business, and people deserve get their answers about this topic also. Not only advice how to model this or cliché how o build your portfolio, but more important questions like: how to consciously build your career or what are upsides and downsides particular career path. I’m an self thought artist, I did a lot of 2D and 3D stuff, I worked as an concept artist in some small studios and freelance, and for me question about downsides of being 3D character artist can be valid also. My point of view on this topic is, as long as you have solid foundation, 3D artist or 2D artist are only profession you do to get money for your job, and shouldn't define you as a person. So according to that, question about downsides of particular profession in my opinion are an indication of healthy attitude, and don’t deserve to be ignored or even trivialise. 
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    scan cleanup.
    What's bizarre is nothing in the portfolio requirement actually tests for experience in this matter. I mean there's retopology, but that's like saying the retopology of a tree could help you retopo a character.
    And then you have to distinguish between cinematic and in game character retopology taking into account FCAS and the like. 
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I would say the biggest issue is stability. The majority of people I have known who have worked as artists in the game industry have experienced layoffs, been in the hustle of accepting temporary contract positions or freelance gigs while trying to land a permanent role. Not to say this has happened to everyone, but it is definitely worth considering if you are just looking for a straight 9-5 job. 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    For me it the Shadow behind me. "Am i good enough?"
    Yes, you have that everywhere if you work in AAA.
    But a humanoid is one level above. Worst thing that can happen is das your caracter cant transport the emotion the Artdirector wants to see and you have no idea how to fix it.

Its not about moveing verticies around its about creating something with a Soul.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    oglu said:
    But a humanoid is one level above. Worst thing that can happen is das your caracter cant transport the emotion the Artdirector wants to see and you have no idea how to fix it.

Its not about moveing verticies around its about creating something with a Soul.
    Its also difficult to focus on the characters soul, if all you get to work on is the sole of its boot as part of character team in AAA.
    Not exactly the dark side unless you see it for where it is, but its part of the job.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    NikhilR said:
    oglu said:

Its also difficult to focus on the characters soul, if all you get to work on is the sole of its boot as part of character team in AAA.
    Not exactly the dark side unless you see it for where it is, but its part of the job.
    Ah I guess that's what oglu wanted to say.. (just a typo)
    It's about creating something with a sole! :D

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Once i had to model a complex Sole of a Nike shoe. It took me two days and a lot of hair. :D