Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Soviet Diesel Punk. Robot "Skitalec"

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
evgeny_h polycounter lvl 3
Hi all! 
I love cyber punk very much, but I love Soviet diesel punk even more, it's a pity that one time has already passed, and the other has not started yet ;)). I decided to make a 3D printing robot model based on the Russian artist Andrey Tkachenko. (He draws very cool art on the theme of diesel punk. You can find his works here). This robot was chosen, its name is "Skitalec" (in eng. "wanderer"). I do all the work in 3Ds max, although I already understand what I needed to do in Zbrush. This is my first experience in modeling for 3D printing.

The size of the figure will be about 18 centimeters.
All of the modeling I do for turbosmooth.

I hope you will be interested in following the progress of the work. 

Unfortunately, there are no references, but I work with the Andrey Tkachenko and he sometimes gives small tips on how and what to do. But still, a lot of things I have to come up with on the go. In some places, I integrated old Soviet spare parts and parts. I'll show you which ones later.
In the future, I hope that we will make a series of works and some of them can even be bought for the collection.

I started by making a Blockout of the model, roughly figuring out where the different elements would be located.

1. And so, I started with the robot's head. I started with simple forms and slowly added detail. Unfortunately, there are no intermediate options, but I'll show you some interesting points in the screenshots below.

the robot has one "eye" and I decided that the Soviet lens "Helios 44M-4" is perfect for this ;)

Another unusual solution, the universal key. it was in every child's bike.

When I finished this head, I realized that for a figure size of 18 centimeters, there is a lot of detail. In the future, I will simplify these forms.

After the head, I moved to the hands. They are the same. It was difficult to understand how the arm was attached to the shoulder. So I temporarily left it as it is.

Several test renderings in Marmoset. Here I was once again convinced that it is necessary to simplify the model for 3D printing as much as possible ;)

All this took me several days of work. Now I started on my feet. They are also the same. If you are interested, I am waiting for your comments and comments! ;)

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Uh oh, I see some N-gons. But really, it's a cool model so far and a really fun concept. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Are you going to texture the digital model or just use it for printing?
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh oh, I see some N-gons. But really, it's a cool model so far and a really fun concept. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Are you going to texture the digital model or just use it for printing?
    hi. sorry for my English ;)
    I don't pay attention to the topology. later in zbrush I will make dynamesh.
    while I'm making the model for printing, I'll probably make textures later.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Cool stuff! The very last image with the cylinder and cutins plus side vents looks like you need to apply smoothing groups to sort out your shading. Maybe even auto smoothing will fix the blown out look.
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Cool stuff! The very last image with the cylinder and cutins plus side vents looks like you need to apply smoothing groups to sort out your shading. Maybe even auto smoothing will fix the blown out look.
    I've already fixed it;) thank you!
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started making legs. see a bit of the process. Here I used several swivel joints, motorcycle springs, and an old Soviet "gas" key. I hope this mechanism should work ;)

I thought for a long time about how to make a foot, but after talking with the author of the concept, I made a foot in a sock, which turns into a biomechanical prosthesis. I don't know how good it looks, but the author (Andrey Tkachenko) really liked it, and soon I liked it too  ;)

By the way, in some places I use the Quad Remesher plugin. It allows you to make a good grid very quickly.

But I still have a lot of doubts whether such detail can be done on a 3D printer. well, let's see what happens.

• evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some work on robor head. Added an old Soviet switch and an electric plug from the meter. Don't be afraid that there's only half a head there ;)

• evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! And so... I came back with a little progress ;) I changed the arm a bit, made a different attachment mechanism, thus getting a little more space for its movement!

• evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also finished the Luggage that was on the back of the robot and a small bear ;) I made a Bear in zbrush. There's nothing complicated, just the usual z-spheres and a bit of a move brush .
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also made a cloth that hangs from the robot's belt. initially, I wanted to do it all in marvelous designer, but in the end I did everything in 3D max, using the "cloth" modifier and slightly modified everything in z-brush.
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will send this result to the guys who will make the mold for casting the figure and test samples for 3D printing. Most likely, I will have to simplify this model many times, since it has a lot of small details. so if you're interested, keep an eye on the topic!;)
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some renderings in marmoset. I'll probably work on the bear shape a little more))