Home Adobe Substance

Substance painter - artifacts in the edges

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Nadra_Nagy polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone, I was trying to bake my model on substance painter
and on 4K I've got these artifacts.
both of the max distance are 0.01, anti-aliasing 4x4 , match by name and I made sure that everything was named correctly.
so could someone please help me solving this? 

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Anti-aliasing 4x4 -  go higher?
    That doesn't work anything clipping on the explode?
    That doesn't work any verts not welded?
    Are you using any cages? are they custom made? try using cages you made.
    That doesn't work uv's clipping each-other (to close needs more room)

Judging by the weird lighting happening at the nose area on the would be face something is wrong.

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Padding may help, but also could just be a discrepancy of your lowpoly from your high poly. You could upload your .fbx's and I can check them out if you'd like :smile:

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Show your uvs

They are the cause of the problems 
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    Any hard edges in these areas that don't have corresponding UV splits?

In addition to what's already been mentioned: seeing the model (basic shading without the normal map) and the wire frame would also be helpful.
  • Nadra_Nagy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for replying, I really appreciate it
    Here are the files, https://we.tl/t-W2IKYwIi2f
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @Nadra_Nagy
    So as suspected, your lowpoly isn't quite matching up with your high poly. Your UV's look fine, could use some adjustments as well, and packed better to utilize the UV space much more. You also want to make sure you generate smoothing groups/hard edges based on your UV splits as mentioned (not sure if the smoothing groups were destroyed on export/import, but I didn't have on import). 

After making some adjustments to your low poly geometry, and properly putting the edges/verts in closer areas, the results are much better :grin: 

I would like to comment that your high poly is lacking a lot of soft details to benefit baking. Definitely want to smooth your edges loads more, as this is too sharp to really benefit much :smile: If this is intended for games, you also have lots of unneeded geometry as well.

Here's your lowpoly with the adjusted/optimized geometry and cleaned up UVs btw! :smile:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QH6yZovJxdfKxncN9ogHwq2x4tJabtQ4

• Nadra_Nagy
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    @Nadra_Nagy
    So as suspected, your lowpoly isn't quite matching up with your high poly. Your UV's look fine, could use some adjustments as well, and packed better to utilize the UV space much more. You also want to make sure you generate smoothing groups/hard edges based on your UV splits as mentioned (not sure if the smoothing groups were destroyed on export/import, but I didn't have on import). 

After making some adjustments to your low poly geometry, and properly putting the edges/verts in closer areas, the results are much better :grin: 

I would like to comment that your high poly is lacking a lot of soft details to benefit baking. Definitely want to smooth your edges loads more, as this is too sharp to really benefit much :smile: If this is intended for games, you also have lots of unneeded geometry as well.

Here's your lowpoly with the adjusted/optimized geometry and cleaned up UVs btw! :smile:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QH6yZovJxdfKxncN9ogHwq2x4tJabtQ4

I can't thank you enough!
    Well here's the thing, it's my first time baking and I barely have knowledge because I'm self-studying.
    I would really appreciate if you could recommend me some sort of guide to learn retopo and uv for baking.
    Thank you so much again! 
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There are several threads at the top of  the technical talk forum that cover baking in depth. 
    I'd recommend you read everything in those but don't follow everything blindly. we don't need to use a lot of the old hacks these days but the fundamentals and the recent advise on specific techniques are solid. 
  • Nadra_Nagy
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    There are several threads at the top of  the technical talk forum that cover baking in depth. 
    I'd recommend you read everything in those but don't follow everything blindly. we don't need to use a lot of the old hacks these days but the fundamentals and the recent advise on specific techniques are solid. 
    Thank you for the advice, I'll check it  :)
  • triborg
    Offline / Send Message
    triborg polycounter lvl 2
    Hello, check this topic to know more http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
    also, try to bake curv map from mesh in substance designer, because Substance Painter bake mesh only from normal map, but Designer can from high poly mesh and that's can fix bad seam issue.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Not sure what's going on but.. @triborg what's going on?
    - old topic
    - this sentence: "(...) bake curv map from mesh in substance designer, because Substance Painter bake mesh only from normal map (...)"
    both I don't understand

Edit: saw your thread. Now I understand you better
  • triborg
    Offline / Send Message
    triborg polycounter lvl 2
    - old but still good guide for Nadra_Nagy

-   My advice for the future baking textures, Substance painter don't bake curvature map, what SP is simply doing, converting normal map into curvature map and that's can cause some isues at seams, but Susbtance Designer can bake curvature map from High Poly mesh, if  Allegorithmic  fixed this, reply please.

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Painter bakes a curvature map from the highpoly.. not sure what you mean
  • Nadra_Nagy
    Offline / Send Message
    triborg said:
    Hello, check this topic to know more http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
    also, try to bake curv map from mesh in substance designer, because Substance Painter bake mesh only from normal map, but Designer can from high poly mesh and that's can fix bad seam issue.
    I'll read it for sure, thank you for your help 😃👍🏻
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    rollin said:
    Nah, I believe it still does not (I'm on 2019.3.3) ..
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cptSwing said:
    rollin said:
    Nah, I believe it still does not (I'm on 2019.3.3) ..
    Could it be I'm talking about something different? 

I mean:

And 'baking' is not 'exporting'... so...  but then on the other hand you could still output the resulting curvature map