Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vehicle Artist (wannabe) portfolio feedback

lluc21
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone, I'm trying to land my first job as a vehicle artist, but had no luck so far. 
I'd really appreciate if someone could give some insights on my portfolio, projects that I should ditch or maybe change the presentation, what you'd like to see more of etc...
Thanks in advance.
artstation.com/lucassoler

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Simply looking at the guy you link in one of your portfolio pieces turns up some decent looking vehicle renders that immediately jump out at me, so i would copy what these three users are doing and come up with a style similar that stands out.

I dabbled in it for a time from model blue/print/sheet in illustrator to 3D, it was a good learning curve and change, long time ago, was even an "environment artist", at one point before changing interest to character work.  Anyway,

After viewing those links i'd continue to see what else they've done and copy similar, lighting scene's, not 1:1 of course but make it your own.

On to the work:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k49Q10 - i like the designs on the vehicle, but i kind of really dislike the background and floor, it looks, lazy if i am being honest.
    I do like the topology on the vehicle but it doesn't look driven.  Racing cars to me are nearly plastered with sponsors and that might help this piece, make it look tough rough and mean for the race track.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1n9bGG - this one is strong i like the damage version, this is a promising piece, i like the broken glass and everything on the outside, the inside seems lacking color, or something that makes the interior pop, looks low on the "gloss" specular highlights or any details popping they appear flat to me i could be wrong it could be lighting.
    The AC fan that you can see on the drivers side - it looks like someone took a dump there - throwing a little humor there but its misplaced dirt texturing it looks like, off putting.  i really like the airbag so this piece just needs a little more loving a good lighting or a change maybe try a dark scene with a street light near it at the crash sight a sign should be super simple to do, small amount of grass a railing.  (just throwing things out for you.)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QzY9ld - now this looks good too, however too clean, rims look like a toys, the scene is great, then in this one you do a good job with the interior.

What i think the issue is (from what i could tell), is maybe you are using high quality vehicles that are not your own?  I see you mentioned one of the high poly models were from turbo squid and its great to use for learning and probably for portfolio work but i think the main reason here just by that is that you should be creating vehicles from -nothing- the ground up every screw is made by you every tire tread. 
    I could be wrong but if i was a Hiring manager(i am not nor have i ever or probably will ever) and i saw that mentioned i wouldn't pick you based on that.  Harsh? but using other peoples stuff and not crediting them (turbo squid isn't a person/user.) is half the reason i said it like that.  I hope the other vehicles are yours but the varying degree of changes happening between each piece is telling me they might not be.  (until you say otherwise idk, just like they do not know.)

That is how i see the portfolio i hope it was enough to give you an idea and direction to aim for.  You've said it yourself in your opening post, so maybe you just want confirmation and i hope you got it otherwise i do hope someone who has much more experience in this chimes in sometime soon in the mean while i'd work on the blue crashed piece and touch it a bit and just add those small elements in. (or you can just find some stuff from turbo squid and add them in and mention everything except scene elements are made by you.)

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    @DavidCruz
    First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to make this very in depth review. Now I have a better idea on what I need to change/improve.
    I should probably clarify on every project's description that the model is mine, made from scratch. I thought it was assumed but now that you mention it it might look like I am using models from someone else and just did the rendering.
    On the Audi A6 model I didn't give a lot of love to the interior as it was for a commissioned project and was meant to be seen only from the outside. I might revisit it in the future with a more detailed interior.
    I am currently working on taking all the models into Unreal to take some beauty shots there, but lighting and composition are things I really struggle with.

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    lluc21 said:
    @DavidCruz
    On the Audi A6 model I didn't give a lot of love to the interior as it was for a commissioned project and was meant to be seen only from the outside. I might revisit it in the future with a more detailed interior.
    I am currently working on taking all the models into Unreal to take some beauty shots there, but lighting and composition are things I really struggle with.

Alright thanks probably something you should mention if you haven't ^ in the portfolio about it being a commission piece for the exterior only.
    Loading them in unreal sounds great, looking forward to the update if you decide to share it in this thread (words could do fine as in i updated my portfolio models are in unreal take a look) or something there a bouts.
    Light / composition:
    Yea me to, can't get my plum around it, however just in the last few hours it finally worked out for me, i should probably have the guiding light indicators on when i do the lighting (i don't i try to do it by eye..) that could be our downfall. =p (in marmoset)

Glad you appreciated the feedback hope it was alright to say a few things border lining harshness.  Tbh you got it easy, i was publicly shamed by a great once.  Won't let anyone forget it apparently either, but hey i got noticed. (notice me senpai ! )

(to anyone that cares, small hint to who my user name was, probably never figure it out, but its a nice clue, if people don't remember.)