Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High poly lantern - Advice needed!

Dinka
keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Dinka keyframe
Hey,

I modeled this lantern and made most of the small holes using boolean with a mesh pattern I created. The topology was obviously awful after that, and spent a good time fixing it manually. It's still not great.

Can you get the detail of the holes on a low poly mesh? And make them see through? What would be the best way to do it?

I have access to blender and substance painter & designer.

Thanks for any tips/critiques!

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Dinka said:
    Hey,

Can you get the detail of the holes on a low poly mesh? And make them see through? What would be the best way to do it?

Hey Dinka,

One of the most common ways to do this for a prop like your Lantern (certainly if it's a game asset), is to create an opacity/transparency map. You basically keep you basic shape of the lantern but the holes are defined by a white/black texture applied to the opacity/transparency slot of your material or shader.

You'd lose the geometry's thickness tough, so if it isn't a game asset or has a prominent role in your scene you might opt to keep the geometry with all its holes.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    google how to bake textures from high poly to a plane... or just google baking textures with opacity :)
  • Dinka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    Thanks @Dihemi and @teodar23 :) I'm really new to 3D and texturing is an area I find difficult, just got substance painter a few days ago and had no idea you could make an opacity map... Thank you very much this was really helpful!