Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male torso/back anatomy - critique please

Deniell
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Deniell triangle
Hello. Can you give me feedback on my anatomy modeling? I didn't pay too much attention to amrs because I want to handle torso and back firstly. I'm quite "confident" with torso but doing back is harder for me. Thank you for every advice.

Replies

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    I made another piece before I go to work. Even though I didn't make any arms, this pose should me more like in T-pose so I tried to make pectoralis stretched so I would like to know if it's correct or not. Thanks. :)
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Quick update of the back.

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Made arms today. I will also try to to the complete upper body but without head because that's quite a big topic. I hope someone visit this thread at least. :D

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    I managed to do it today, yay! :D I won't give up, guys!

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    My first attempt of doing hands. They seems simple but so far it's the hardest part of body for me.
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    I made the whole upper body (except the head - that will be last part of body I will learn) but since I have whole upper part and my computer is not powerful, I couldn't managed add more polys because that it's slow and sometimes my PC crashed so hands are not very detailed.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey Deniell, good to see your continual updates!

I believe you're lacking the foundation to anatomy, you need to take a step back and understand the skeletal system and major angle changes in the torso. Right now you're getting a little ahead and jumping into the muscle mass. I suggest doing lowpoly blockouts first and really nail those down.

Here's a quick paintover and some ref images. Check out 'Anatomy for Sculptors' if you're interested in this kind of ref. Cheers

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    @bkost Oh, I'm glad that someone finally visit this thread. :D Thank you for the critique. I always thought that I'm missing something but never could figured out. You are right that I jumped into muscles right off the bat. I'll sculpt the torso again and post it here. May I ask about how good or bad is my muscle structure? If something is too big, small or missing? Thank you again. :)
  • RogueHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogueHero polycounter lvl 6
    I think bkost makes a good point that you should focus on overall shapes and planes first, as well as relative proportion first. It's easy to get carried away and jump right into the muscles but without that foundation it's going to look off.
    As far as anatomy goes I can see that you've looked up a few references but there are some specific issues that you have. The most obvious right now are the serratus muscles and the lower back.
    With the serratus it looks like you've added a bit too many, and kept them too parallel.
    See in the reference how they fan out and merge with the obliques.

With the lower back the area where the lats come around the back and merge with the muscles running down the spine and into the posterior begin to lose form and have strange proportions closer to the tailbone.

I would say that if you work on overall form and proportion that will solve 90% of your issues, then grab a couple of reliable anatomy references to fill in the details. If haven't seen it already pinterest is a good place to check out some solid references. https://www.pinterest.ca/alexdiehl3d/anatomy/
    If you're going to start a new sculpt I'd also suggest adding the pelvis too, that'll help with some of the connecting muscles around the core.

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Hey, @RogueHero thank you for the feedback. The references you posted here are awesome. I'll definitely use them.
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Allright, I did my best to apply your advice about proportion and muscle flow. Two days ago I thought that my sculpts are good and now I see how bad they are. :D My plan was to make a whole complete body (without head) but since I miss the foundation about proportion, I'll stay in upper part for now. Also tried to use another materials so it can look more natural. Now when I look at it, maybe I smooth it too much. Let me know you think. Thanks. :)
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Use bricks wisely I suggest to learn simple shape/form of rib cage and pelvis and how to connect them
    @bkost is doing is much better starting exercise then what you are doing , check his last few posts
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    I thought I know all stories about bricks but never heard this one... :D But I understand what you mean. I think I won't leave the torso for a while since I know so little. Also thanks for the bkost link. I'm considering to make my own thread on my journey to become character artist.
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Mady another sculpt. I haven't really study proportion of ribcage etc. but I tried my best to copy from references and also want to do atleast one sculpt daily. Every feedback is welcomed.
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Hey guys! Long time no see! I stopped to post here because I didn't want to upload my every piece because it would have been too much. Then I stumbled upon Discord channel and... I somehow forgot to upload here. :D But there is my progress over the almost 2 months. I think it's close to finished but later on I want break the symetry little bit. I also try to learn female anatomy but it's somehow harder for me.
    Every C&C are as always welcome. Thanks! :)

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Pretty good start. Here are some things that might help.
    Use a free app like Daz 3d on a monitor next to your work screen. You can dial in muscularity, volume and weight variations, you can pose it and allows you to rotate around the figure while working.

Download a free .obj skeleton from the web and place it under your model for volume and position reference.

You can use Daz for creating orthographic view shots to place in your modelling app for reference planes.

The resolution of your model isn't important when you start. In fact sculpting with hi rez mesh looks easy in tutorials but its hard to achieve a smooth model with good proportions from the get go. You can get a better start (and eventually end) result by keeping the mesh low and pushing around bigger polys to nail the form before increasing the resolution for more detailed work. The model below has been edited a little in Blender for better flow and distribution. You can establish the figure quite well at this rez.

About the model/s you made above. The pose looks a bit rigid. You can relax the pose by pushing the hips forward just slightly and altering the balance of the spine in the side view. Also splay the feet out a little at the toes so the overall impression is more relaxed. This will make the figure easier to work on. Your forms look like they haven't been used to mimic the building blocks of the figure. The ref picks and the model skull will help you there, as well as where everything goes.

Hope this helps.
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Thanks @kanga for the feedback. The Daz app seems interesting. I'll definitely check it. :)