Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Professor Mcgonagall linekess study

enola
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
enola polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone! I'm currently trying to get better at anatomy and character art in general. I've started this likeness study of professor Mcgonagall as my new project. This is my first attempt at realism and likeness and I feel like I'm getting a bit stuck, so I'd really appreciate any feedback!! 

These are my references :)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Replies

• enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2

So I've had some more time to put into this bust.. I think I've got the main shapes there and will shortly start adding the secondary shapes!

• enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    Some more work on this! :)

• enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    So I decided to give her some eye texture to see how the eyes would fit in the face. I also temporarily painted some eyelashes and eyebrows on photoshop, to check the likeness... What do you guys think?

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    I think it´s starting to look really good, I´m wondering if her neck isn´t  a bit long though? I could be wrong tho
  • enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    I think it´s starting to look really good, I´m wondering if her neck isn´t  a bit long though? I could be wrong tho
    Hi Johannes, I actually think You're right! I'll try adjust that, thanks!!
  • enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    So here's some more progress on it... I think the neck was indeed too long, so I adjusted that. Also kept added some skin surface detail like minor wrinkles, pores and skin direction. I got to add eyelashes and try fibermesh on the eyebrows too, but i might need to adjust them a little more! 

I haven't yet had the chance to work much on the clothes, but i'll be looking into that tomorrow!

Needless to say... I'd really appreciate any feedback :D 

• enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    Finally got to work on the clothes! Still considering if it'd be better to add some surface detail in zbrush or straight in substance painter.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looking really good!
  • enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    slosh said:
    Looking really good!
    thank you!!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    I had some time and I finished sculpting the hat and added some temporary fibermesh as hair. 

I was thinking of creating some hair cards for her, but I've never done it before. I'm a little unsure of the best approach, mostly for things like.. eyebrows. Do you guys have any tips on this?

Thanks for all your comments!

• enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    So I've kept working on this a little and got in the textures and set it up in marmoset.

I feel like some of the textures could be better, like the skin, but I'm not very sure how to push it further. Probably something to do with the specular and the subsurface scattering? 

I'd like to keep pushing this a bit further! It's been fun :)

• Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Really nice likeness, its recognisably her, it just needs some more tweaking and detailing.
    Your larger wrinkles could do with some more natural breakup. Instead of a wrinkle being one or two bold strokes, maake it up of lots of low intensity strokes.
    Your diffuse needs a lot more noisiness and speckling, it seems like youre using large soft brushes for the colour zones, try something more noisey and brush like. Same goes for your roughness, needs some spots of highlight of more or less greasy areas.
    Your suburface scattering might be a bit low, it looks a bit papery in spots.
  • enola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    Pav3d said:
    Really nice likeness, its recognisably her, it just needs some more tweaking and detailing.
    Your larger wrinkles could do with some more natural breakup. Instead of a wrinkle being one or two bold strokes, maake it up of lots of low intensity strokes.
    Your diffuse needs a lot more noisiness and speckling, it seems like youre using large soft brushes for the colour zones, try something more noisey and brush like. Same goes for your roughness, needs some spots of highlight of more or less greasy areas.
    Your suburface scattering might be a bit low, it looks a bit papery in spots.
    Thanks! Thats really useful feedback!! I'll give that a go! :D
  • Raxhellsr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    I am really fascinated by your work, it has been spectacular!

You have the Mcgonagall model for sale?
    I would very much like to acquire it, plis plis plis is my favorite character always
    if you are interested please contact me raxhellsantiher@gmail.com