Home Technical Talk

How you decide how much you will chamfer an edge? Is there a rule or just random?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Frigus polycounter lvl 6
Hi polycount! Recently I've done a 3D Machine gun model but someone told me that machine gun edges not looking natural and that edges will cause aliasing problems. But I did a low poly model and guns are made from metal and metals are very solid materials I did edges very hard because of that but still should I chamfer that edges? Is there a rule or something? How much I will smooth that edges? Sorry for my bad english.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's 3 main considerations IMO:

Make sure edges are soft enough that they don't cause horrible aliasing in game. This can vary depending on the game, how the asset is being used, and the graphics settings. 

Try to be consistent and based in reality. Chamfer will vary a lot even on the same model depending on the real world reference was made. Some edges are punched out of a material, some are bent and folded, some are made out of different materials, some are manually sanded/rounded. Might be good to mentally label them as small, medium, large, or even decide on exact values to reuse. 

Exaggerate if necessary. Details on flat surfaces might need to be exaggerated to give a sense of depth. Small bevels might not show up at all unless exaggerated. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Have a look at reference pictures to see what your edge should look like. Even so if someone comments on the edge sharpness you should take notice. Edges support a highlight and without any tech knowledge the edges on the main body and particularly the holes really does look too tight. It depends on what the model is for. If the model was for engineering purposes and comes from technical drawings (like CAD files) then you are just faithfully reproducing and then it up to the client. If the model is your own interpretation, then the edges look too sharp.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    I would champher edges  only inside UV islands  for such thing with so many UV seams everywhere obviously .   Would just bake rounded edges into normal map.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    With normal maps we need to bevel edges more than usual. Viewing distance, texture size, are two factors to consider, but all is up to your artistic direction/taste.

BTW, a little bevel/chamfer always look cool.
  • Frigus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 6
    thank you all for your answers and advice. I will make a new high and low poly model now. :)