Home Adobe Substance

Designer to Painter problem with Height map...

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
wonkza polycounter lvl 4
This my Designer material with the height map under.

And this is the same material in Painter on a High res plane besides the fact that it looks horrible compared to SD... 

And this is how the height map looks like... 

Any idea why? thanks.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The heightmap looks like that because painter uses signed values for height.   What would be 0.5 in designer is 0 in Painter.  It's just a visual thing, your height should be fine.

I've no idea about the displacement as I've never tried it
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Painter could show the displacement too . it's in shader settings.  
    By default any height texture is rendered with kind of mild influence to pixel normals .  Sometimes hardly visible.  No connection to real height amplitude it supposed to  be.

I use" height to normal" filter  put into normal slot of a layer with same input height texture.   Did it from SD normal node.  Have no idea  what default one, more advanced  is doing.    As usual in substances you see lots of sliders and no idea what they are all about, no hints, examples or explanation in help.    So it's really  simpler to just make your own.

Same with AO filter .

Would love  to see some checkbox in SP  that would nomalize height channel preview to visible 0-1  in view-port only.  

Also it seems Painter does all the pixel calculations in output resolution while SD could do it the way whatever you want. 
    I usually work in twice bigger resolution and scale down at export.