Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blood Temple Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Druwed polycounter lvl 6
Taking part in a 3D modeling competition that is being hosted by a CG school I'm attending.
And decided to work off of this concept by Marcin Basta.

Goal is to have this finished environment rendered in sketchfab by the 29th of February.
Going to make this in a Stylized workflow.

Replies

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    First update, Modeled the basic block out, and figuring out proportions and camera positions

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Second Update, finishing off the block-out and will move onto the UV'ing Detailing and texturing

Will Probably split the walls into 2 tiling textures.
    2-3 Textures for the Vases
    2 Textures for the Pedestal (1 for the pedestal and another for the steps)
    1 texture for the stairs

Any comments and critiques are welcome, it is my goal to have a finished and polished environment by the end of the month
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Sculpted a tiling brick material for the walls, I will later bake this down into a 2D Texture following the Fanny Vergne Method.
    Starting to plan out a trim sheet for some of the varying elements of the scene,

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Started laying out the trim sheet on the environment.
    Still need to make detailed versions of the heads, 1 more material for the floor (a cracked stone pattern) and a trim sheet for the thrones and jars.
    After everything looks good ill move on to texturing and rendering inside of sketchfab

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Started the rendering in sketchfab, and building the materials.
    Found out about a bunch of issues, Gotta fix some of the tiling on the trim sheets
    Need to Finalize the heads and jars and thrones
    Make another tiling material for the floor.
    And also texture everything.

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Quick update to show how the environment is progressing

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Another update
    Just need to make and texture a cracked stone floor and Texture the Jars and then i will move on to polishing and fixing errors
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, this seems incredibly low poly. Any particular reason for it? I just went through your artstation and it seems you have a habit of using really low poly counts in your work, and I think you could benefit from increasing that in general.
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, this seems incredibly low poly. Any particular reason for it? I just went through your artstation and it seems you have a habit of using really low poly counts in your work, and I think you could benefit from increasing that in general.
    No reason in particular, i guess it's a mixture of this low poly-ish style being my comfort zone and the fact that i mostly learned from Handpainting tutorials(and my current CG school), where they stressed us to keep the polycount low. 
    One of my initial goals was to work on games with artstyles similar to WoW or Allods online, and i guess i got stuck in that frame of mind
    But i guess that is bad habit that i will have to break depending on what style of piece i'm working on.
    Are there any specific places or examples where increasing the polycount would increase the overall quality?
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Another update: Have almost all of the elements textured and placed on the scene.
    Now to dedicate the remaining time to polishing the scene and fixing errors.
    Sketchfab link in case anyone wants to look into the scene

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, for sure. That cylindrical object in the middle of your room looks way too low poly. When building a portfolio, unless you're specifically making low poly art, it's better to go a little higher poly count than to go low.
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, for sure. That cylindrical object in the middle of your room looks way too low poly. When building a portfolio, unless you're specifically making low poly art, it's better to go a little higher poly count than to go low.
    Thanks for the feedback, i'll take this to heart and see where i can increase the polycount and try to get out of this "everything must be low poly" mindset.
    Thanks for taking the time to look over my work.
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Another update to the scene

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Another update

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Your colors are a little too saturated compared to the concept. It's also very bichromatic (if that's a word). I just see red and greens that clash and kind of get muddy. Red and green are complementary colors, placing them together with such saturation isn't pleasing to the eye. You can use either red or green in a saturated way, but you should then desaturate the other. There's also a trick with color, where you can place a saturated color next to neutral gray and the gray will appear to take on the complement to the saturated color. This is what the artist did in some cases for the concept. The red they use is closer to gray that it seems. But because they used a more saturated green (and some blue), it makes the desaturated red stand out more. If you're new to color theory, this could cause you to misread colors are more saturated than they are.

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Your colors are a little too saturated compared to the concept. It's also very bichromatic (if that's a word). I just see red and greens that clash and kind of get muddy. Red and green are complementary colors, placing them together with such saturation isn't pleasing to the eye. You can use either red or green in a saturated way, but you should then desaturate the other. There's also a trick with color, where you can place a saturated color next to neutral gray and the gray will appear to take on the complement to the saturated color. This is what the artist did in some cases for the concept. The red they use is closer to gray that it seems. But because they used a more saturated green (and some blue), it makes the desaturated red stand out more. If you're new to color theory, this could cause you to misread colors are more saturated than they are.

Yea, i don't know much a bout color theory.
    Thanks for taking the time and giving this advice out. 
    I'll try to apply it to the scene
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Tweaked the lighting/saturation a bit. Still not satisfied with how it is looking, but I only have a few hours before i need to submit this assignment.
    Going to try making some last minute adjustments before sending this out