Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yoga Studio

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
I've started a new side project this weekend.

I want to brush up on my Marvelous Designer and character skills. I also want to do some animation and make an asset package to sell with some sex appeal. So I am making Yoga Studio, which will feature a couple of beautiful people doing yoga poses in a studio environment. I'll set it up in Unity and Unreal. For now I am testing in Toolbag for speed.

For simplicity I am hand painting textures. I do a little stylization with the proportions and textures to try and make it feel sporty and fun.

So far I've made one character: Meaghan. She's 26, squats a lot, and has wonderfully diverse genes.

Her hair is placeholder. I'll get that done next weekend, then make a few animations.
Meaghan, is a twenty-six year old yoga instructor. She works out all the time because she'd be bored otherwise, and she likes to eat without worrying about calories. Her friends encourage her to put herself on Instagram, but she's too embarrassed. They don't know that she struggles to pay rent.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Worked a bit on this project this week.

Mostly I figured out how the rigging and animation is going to work. A lot learned there but nothing to show yet. But I got some progress towards a character done too. 

This girl isn't built from a specific reference, I just started from a base mesh and worked on it until it felt like the right character. She is meant to be a late twenties African American ex-olympic athlete. Personality is introvert but generally friendly. I want a face that looks kind in resting pose but can be intimidating too with a mean expression. I think the character is there in the face, but if it's not I can repurpose this to another character. She has a body too but I got no clothes for it yet.

I also made some blendshapes to practice facial expressions. They aren't great but it's my first time doing that sort of thing. I am going to try out a face rig from advanced skeleton too - may be better to build out a library of expressions that way rather than sculpting them all, cause it has phenomenons built into the rig already.

Hair is placeholder taken from Daz. I won't rebuild it entirely, just do some work to fill in the scalp and change the styling. Body and face used Daz genesis 8 as a base, but I ended up rebuilding the topology because the yoga animations require some pretty extreme poses that necessitated unique topology. I also had to learn to use the pose space deformation tool in maya to help with that as well.

Now I've got the content pipeline mostly figured out so  the first big thing I'm going to do is get a roster of characters ready. I think I'll make the game a visual novel, this way from a technical standpoint I can do all the work myself, and only have to focus on characters, animation, and story writing.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    First woman looks like she could crush a can with that butt! Really like the look of that character.

The second one seems really off. The hair is thinning at the scalp, and the face has an uncanny look to it (especially in the right image of her showing her teeth). It kind of looks like her teeth mesh is too wide for her mouth. Maybe her eyes are too bit as well?

Looking forward to the end result!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    i take a look at the proportions of the face - especially eyes like you are saying.

Hair is placeholder, i just threw that in to get an idea.I have to make a scalp piece for it and work on the textures and material