Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback for textures and lighting---P250

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Babsam polycounter lvl 3

Hi everyone, I've been working on this model for past couple of weeks. Now I'm looking for feedback on my textures and recommendations on how to fix the lighting, because I'm having a hard time setting up the lights to make it look better, but no matter where I place them It doesn't look good to me.

I'm using one 4K texture for the whole piece, but I don't know If 4K or 2K texture would be used in modern AAA FPS game for pistol. 
I don't know if you need to see some more pictures of anything but if you do I will post them here. :)

PS: After looking at some wireframes and reading few articles about polycount of guns in AAA FPS games I realised I should've added more edges to rounded parts to make them look better because now some of them look too edgy .Also I apologize for my English if you found this post to be hard to read. Anyways thanks for feedback :) .

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    The image seems washed out a bit. Are you using a very dark black (near RGB 0,0,0) in the texture? If so, that can cause lighting issues since you would need very bright lights to make sense of the details.
  • Babsam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    That might be the problem. I don't think I'm as low as 0,0,0 but I'm close. Thanks man. I will try that out and see if it helps. :)
  • Babsam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    Well I tried something but I don't know something just doesn't seem right

Here I just tried different backgrounds:

and the color of the body was at 0.04 now I doubled it but there is not much of a difference(I don't see any) :

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I think that the materials could need more love, take another look at your references and look for color/gloss variations and all the little details. And try to separate the metal parts a bit more from the slide and pistol grip.

• Babsam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Zi0 for feedback,  :)  I tried to take more time with textures, and this is how it looks now, I think slide looks definitely better then before.

Now I noticed that vignette doesn't look the same. I know it's just a little thing but I will fix it.  ;)

• Tiggis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiggis triangle

I still think you can push the color/gloss variation more and make it stand out from the rest, character/story. Also some contrast wouldn't hurt. Polymer frame material could also use more love,gloss variation/contrast. Same thing with the slide. Those fingerprints looks very noticeable and alone, I guess, but it looks like you only have them on the frame and the trigger, what about the rest of the parts? Slide, buttons and more random places on the frame.

Here are also some reference images with some interesting details. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8