Home Technical Talk

Is Monopod Worth it? (vs Tripod)

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 8
Is Monopod Worth it? (vs Tripod)   

Hello, i do photogrammetry, i have some cheap tripod, it does the job, but im scanning mainly indoors, outdoors with tripod seems like too much hassle, too much problems, not even the transporting itself of the tripod but mainly positioning and repositioning during scanning itself, outdoors, lets say even in forest... If you make DOZENS and DOZENS of photos, even around 100+ of one object, dealing with tripod just slows you down a lot, takes the fun out of scanning...

So... is monopod worth it? I know the dealing and repositioning during scanning should be MUCH easier with one leg only (monopod vs tripod), correct?

But my main question is: How much steady really is a monopod vs tripod...? Is it ALMOST the same? Is it halfway between shooting just from hand (handheld) and shooting from tripod? Or is  really almost the same as shooting from hand and thus monopod is not worth buying (if one already has a tripod)?

Replies

• m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    If your tripod isn't huge, just extend 1 leg, and you will get the feel of a monopod. After that you can decide if you actually need a monopod 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    In those deep holes , abandoned places where  all nice rusty textures are resides and where you may feel a bit risky to appear with 2-3k camera  a monopod could be a helpful thing too  but for totally different reason. ;)

I once tried a special chain loop you step your feet on to form a triangle and just pull your camera up.  Helped to shot with 1/10 sec . But that was decades ago, well before photogrammetry.
  • Jonathan85
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow said:
    If your tripod isn't huge, just extend 1 leg, and you will get the feel of a monopod. After that you can decide if you actually need a monopod 

Lol thanks, thats quite a good idea! :-)
  • Jonathan85
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    In those deep holes , abandoned places where  all nice rusty textures are reside

Yes this :-), CGI can be an adventurous bussines!