Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Katana Girl

Kebet
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kebet polycounter lvl 3
Hi! I started working in a new character based on this concept from Hicham Habchi. You can find it a the bottom of the post.

Here is how it is going so far: Looking for some feedback :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Update:

Post on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzG8AO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concept: Hicham Habchi profile: https://www.artstation.com/hichamhabchi1

First steps:

Replies

• Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    I started working in the hair, the kanana and some adjustaments.
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    The concept looks cool.
    Atm i think her face could use abit more refining, like make it smoother and abit more stylized like the concept if you're following it 1 to 1. 
  • Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    @akiratang thank you for your feedback! I will have a look to the face and polish it more :)
  • Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Head polished! It may need more work but it looks now more like the character than before XD I also started sculping the skeleton head

• Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Hair resculpted
  • Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Hello! During this week I´ve been working on the retopology and I modeled the last details that was left to do. Time to start with the texturing :)
  • Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    First steps texturing, I need to adjust the roughness and the SSS in the face, but I am pretty happy with the base color.

• MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterWolfen polycounter lvl 8
    While I definitely think you're on the right track, I think you should've spent a little more time during the sculpting phase to really make sure you got the proper details down.

One thing I would recommend for next time, try keeping the hair at a lower poly count until you get a better shape and silhouette for it. That way you don't feel tempted to start adding details, and you'll be less hesitant to make big changes to the shape.

Last thing I'll say is to make sure you pay attention to the concepts silhouette and overall shape. For her legs, in the concept she has this great curve going from her thigh down to the calf, which turns into a shape angle. I definitely think you need to push your overall shapes a little more to try get the character looking closer to the concept.

Overall it's a good start and I'm sure you've learnt a lot from this project :) keen to see more
  • Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you so much for your feedback @MisterWolfen I really apreciate it.

I take note for the next time about the hair polycount, it´s a really good tip. And yes, definitely I should have spent more time during the sculpting phase. :disappointed:

I think I am in time to change the volume in her legs, I will see if I am able :smile:

• Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    I redo the head texture and started texturing the clothes.

• Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Today I did some minor changes in the head texture, and, I did a light set up with Arnold in Maya (I was previously using Marmoset) to see how will look the final render. 
  • Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Coat texture in Substance Painter, now i need to find a way to get this same result with Arnold...

• Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Character and katana texture done. I´ve been messing around with arnold during this past days creating a lighting set up I was happy with, and I came up with this at the end. Now I will finish with the skull model and texture. Once I end up with it, I will pose her and as last, create the hair with xGen if am able.

• Kebet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    I am calling this done!! It can be done much better, but I feel like I am not able to improve it more right now. I learned a lot of, especially in terms of worflow. It was my very first time with arnold and xgen, and I am pretty happy with the result. I spendt a whole month with this project, time to start with another one. Thank you so much for been there :)

Post on Arstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzG8AO