Home Technical Talk

Is this head retopo ok?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 5
Hello,
im doing retopo of the troll, before i finish it i would like to make sure is this mesh ok for games to be animated. Can i continue ?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    That depends on the Platform and the Game itself.
    Do you have any reference games that are similar to what you like todo?
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not doing this exactly for the game but for my future portfolio. Just want to make sure it doesn't have errors. Who knows.....maybe i can give it to some rigger if someone wants in the future.
    I am aiming for some simple low poly game ready stylized character. I already have high poly sculpt. I am planing to do inner mouth also.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Even with experience, still the best thing to do is test. You can get a good idea without doing any rigging at all. Just select vertices, use soft select, adjust your pivot point, and run the mesh through a range of animation motions it will use. If you find that, for instance, the cheek gets too much stretching, then you add in some geo there and test again to see what happens.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just select vertices, use soft select, 
    You probably mean soft selection (in 3ds max) ?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a base mesh for sculpting I guess it's ok. If this is final in-game toplogy, then you're pretty far away from it being workable. But that depends on what you plan on doing with it. If it doesn't articulate or emote then it can be anything it needs to be. If you do plan on articulation then what level? Just a jaw bone and some eye blinks? Emotion? Speech? Mobile quality or full on high end cinematic? What is the goal? 

For anything past static head with zero articulation you have some issues to address...

Eyes and eyelids
    • What does it look like with a round sphere in the socket? 
    • Do you have to deform the sphere to make it work? That is BAD... it should work with spherical eyes.
    • Do you have the necessary geometry to close the eyelids, to do blinks?
    • With the eyes closed does the eyeball clip through?
    The lips
    • They don't have enough loops to allow for smooth articulation and deformation
    • What does it look like when you make some of the classic phoneme shapes? OO, AH, S?
    • The nose attaches right to the upper lip and in some cases is the upper lip, that is bad for just about any kind of facial animation, really bad... 
     The mouth
    • There isn't much of a mouth bag. The teeth and tongue are going look pretty bad just clipping into what you have.
    The ears
    • For as big as they are, they are missing a lot of geometry. Even with a normal map or hand painted texture will not be able to create those shapes and make it look decent.

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aha, ok, it is much clear now to me, thanks.
    As for the purpose, i would aim something simpliest it can be. For example to be like some character in the World of warcraft strategic games, something like that. Or age of empires for example.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message