Home Technical Talk

Do i need different uvs for hair and body ?

Vamptacus
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Vamptacus polycounter lvl 4
sorry for posting another question but i do need help :)
so what i don't know right now is whether to create the uv and textures for the body eye and hair in the same uv tile or no ? should i go for a uv tile for the eyes and body and another for the hair eyebrow and eyelash?
i already have all the equipment and cloth of my character in a separate uv and baked it but i'm not sure how to do it for the body and hair ...

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    They need different shader anyways so its the best to have their own layout.
  • Vamptacus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    They need different shader anyways so its the best to have their own layout.

.. that makes things easier .. btw what's the standard for uving ? how many uv sets does an average character need ? if i go with another layout for hair then it'll be 3 for me, is that too much ?
    i should mention that this is a personal work and i want people to see what i'm capable of, so with that in mind if i have a different layout will it undermine my work?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Its fine. In movies, characters uses many udims. In modern games, characters uses multiple material ids for the different shaders. I would say a rule of thumb is to make a new layout for each shader type. So skin, hair, eyes, and clothing parts at the very least. If the character has swappable equipment or accessories that can change during runtime, they should also have their own each.
  • Vamptacus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Its fine. In movies, characters uses many udims. In modern games, characters uses multiple material ids for the different shaders. I would say a rule of thumb is to make a new layout for each shader type. So skin, hair, eyes, and clothing parts at the very least. If the character has swappable equipment or accessories that can change during runtime, they should also have their own each.

alright that's very informative .... thanks a lot for answering, i guess i'll go for 3 uvs :X wish me luck :P