Home Technical Talk

UV shells and scaling!!

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hello I have short question about UV shells.

I've been re-thinking some uv workflows. I've layout my uv's which have been normalized. But for some Uv's shells I really need more textel
density otherwise my resolution is going to be too low. Is this problem and should I do this?  Just wondering :-)  thanks all.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    What is the screen size and importance of the object.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Obscura long time ago :-) texture size is 4096 I'm using SP for detailing small rivits on metal panels. These metal panels need the small details. If I normalize my UVs  for same  texel density some  UV shells are basicly to small were I need more texture detail. So scalling them up seems the right thing to do right now!! Thanks.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know no more than before. We don't even know if its a wall panel or fps weapon or character so I can't help you. But I can tell you that depending on the case, scaling up the part isn't the only option.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of info. Its just a wing with damaged plating. As mentioned I need more texture resolution on the plating. After normalizing the uv shells they are to small. So scaling them up seems ok. The red outlines are metal plates I scaled up. That's it. Would definitely like to hear about other methodes :-) Thanks. decorix

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your target renderer is Unreal, mesh decals are made exactly for this purpose.